Nick said so....

If Todd choose to tout his service in comparison to checklist insepctors, then that is his right. His (and my) clients have made their selection of him based on the inforamtion he provides and the detail offered in the format he uses.

It seems a legitimate comparison for marketing purposes. If I knew nothing about home inspectors, I know I would take a customized computer narrative report over a pre-printed from (personal prejudice) and I think many people fell teh same.

It is advertising an edge.

As for thanking Nick…well, Nick has many good ideas. Many do not come to fruition. It gives teh appearance of moving in fits and jerks and flying by the seat of our pants. It lends itself to the criticism from the outside that we (NACHI) are disorganized and unprofessional.

These criticisms can be silenced and expectations not falsely raised if Nick would just wiat to announce things until they have been beta tested or are actually ready to be implemented. Mostly, I take Todd’s messages to be a way of pointing this out to Nick, but I can see how it comes off otherwise.

You mention the Insurance/home owner discout for NACHI HI inspections which Nick referenced. I will use this as an example…he alluded to it already and you are excited about/impressed by it. If this program falls flat or is never put into action, and then two or three others that you think are great ideas also get put on indefinite hold…how would you feel then?

This is the point Todd is expressing…at least I think it is. Todd, of course, gets to the point quickly, so I will let him say what he means - this is how I interpret it.

Of course, everytime Todd or another more senior member brigs these points up, newer NACHI fans see it as beating Nick up unnecessarily or whining. We all enjoy NACHI - that’s why we are here. But after a while, frustrations of this type (disorganization or lack of follow through) can accumulate…

Wendy:

What is the name of the Insurance Company that will be offering discounts?

Wendy,

For $289 we DO get a good value. But I have to agree with Greg and Todd.

Lots of things get promised. Some get delivered, some, not so much.

We’ve all learned to watch with a wary eye when new things are promoted with great fanfare. Most, you will never see.

Since I am a pragmatist, I take advantage of things we actually have, versus things that are promised.

That being said, welcome to the fold. Picking the brains of Todd and Greg and others on here is the greatest advantage of spending the $289. Wish you nothing but success!

Wendy:

Are you a properly Licensed Home Inspector in the State of Washington?

NACHI/Nick, needs to hire more employees to work on some of the projects. Emplyees that are hired without fancy titles. Because we are growing so fast, I think NACHI is always fighting and putting out fires instead of preventing them. We need more paid people in Co. to work on the back log of projects that NACHI has going. We need “worker bees” and not “executives”. We do not need to build or create a corporate structure that mimics other failing companies in the US. (read ACH_) If we do that, our costs will start increasing, there will be more turf wars, and it will turn into a politically managed company instead of the real reason NACHI was started.

On a side note, I still think Nick should be involved in the members only section. Thats where alot of things go on and he could “feel” the pulse of the members.

To add to Jeffery Todd & Greg’s post and most others who have been here 3+ years;

We work with what we have but look forward to a time when experience, education and training will become the foundation we build upon as opposed to just is what is expedient, just as an aside most ASHI chapter presidents have 5+ years experience. Like Todd, I believe I am in the top 5% of my peers, and people who use me should expect a higher level of service. Not to blow my horn but I probably had close to 100 CEU’s last year and have scheduled about 70 for this year.

[quote=mtimpani]
If we do that, our costs will start increasing, there will be more turf wars, and it will turn into a politically managed company instead of **the real reason NACHI was started.**quote]

Whar do you suppose would be the “real reason NACHI was started”?

Now that you mention it, wasn’t there a new policy put into practice this past year (2005), about minimum requirements for chapter officers?

I was wondering the same thing. I could be wrong on this but I was sure there was something posted on these requirements.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but Greg made a good point.

According to ASHI’s Director of membership Scott Patterson, there are more ASHI Candidates than full members. Therefore one is more correct to say that ASHI is an association of c*ome-only-with-cash *Candidates than to say anything else.

ASHI has a small handful of experienced members left who haven’t joined NACHI yet but most of their membership (according to ASHI themselves) is no qualifications whatsoever Candidates who merely filled out this form in 32 seconds: http://www.ashi.org/inspectors/join/candidate_application1.htm and stupidly sent ASHI money.

ASHI is a Candidate/newbie packed diploma mill with a few experienced die-hards who haven’t joined NACHI yet.

Nick, off topic, start a new thread.

I will, titled “Our Industry’s Diploma Mill… when will their dumping stop?”

That would be because no one else took the initiative to do so. That is how it is set up. If I can take the initiative and I can do so competently, then I have no more or less right or ability above anyone else to do so.

How long I’ve been here means nothing, and I haven’t told anyone how bad they are. On the other hand, I have been criticized and griped about plenty.

Just because the things that are done on this board are status quo and people get away with them, does not mean they are right.

Also, could you please show me the place on this board that states that one must be here for one year before they are allowed to give a legitimate, intelligent opinion on something?

You’re point? :roll:

I see now that I actually have spoken my mind, the sharks are turning on me.

Please feel free.

BTW, if you are insinuating that I am not licensed with the pest inspection portion of the requirements, please take into account that Washington State is at least one quarter behind in listing their licensed pest inspectors and just recently posted the licensees from the last several months.

I am sorry to see that those who can only come and attack others have nothing better to do.

Fortunately 99.98 % or so of the actual membership of this organization actually have better things to do than to flit from thread to thread attacking people that are trying to help them.

Do YOU see another Olympic Peninsula area Chapter for Washington?

I followed the rules that are posted here for starting a Chapter. Since no one else deemed it worthwhile to do so, I took the initiative to start one to help promote NACHI and more importantly, the home inspection industry.

I can see that some people would rather criticize those that are proactive, rather than becoming proactive themselves. It’s far easier to sit and gripe behind a computer screen isn’t it boys?

You all are just simply showing that you are okay with someone breaking into your clique until they actually try to become involved. Then you harass them until you hope they leave.

Good luck.

Not insinuating anything.

Your answer is NO as far as being licensed as a PCO?

You’re definitely not “insinuating” anything. You are blatantly stating it.

If someone gives in to a terrorist, they are encouraging further terrorism.
Likewise, if someone gives into a bully, they are encouraging further bullying.

Honestly. No matter what my answer is, I would like to know how your question relates to anything important or how it relates to my competency as a Chapter President or even a basic member of this organization.

Please tell me. Do you go around asking EVERYONE if they are a PROPERLY LICENSED inspector once they’ve joined?

Is it your practice to give EVERYONE the third degree when they join?

BTW, with or without this board, I will still be an effective, active member of this organization as well as an inspector that people are proud to refer others to.

All you do when you go around flagrantly toot your own horn (despite your disclaimer) is flaunt your ego and make yourself look bad for trying to make others look incompetent next to you.

I know that I have the respect of community and my peers and that means alot more to me than whether or not you approve or disapprove of anything I do in this organization.

So, what’s the beef about a “newbie” starting a chapter, anywhere?

I was a greenhorn when I started Colorado, 3 years ago. Nick came out & helped us all create it. Now they have over 200 members and excellent leadership.

A year ago, I cranked up Idaho, another state without a NACHI chapter in the 21st century.

Chapters have started and succeeded all around the country. Some have started and failed. Just like businesses. Either way, success is up to, in a large part, the individual behind it.

Often, New Blood has the energy and enthusiasm to carry it through!

Russ

As a Matter of Fact…

Yes.

I have inquired and questioned many Members when their Credentials were brought to my attention while I was NACHI President.

Many were active Full Members or working towards Full Membership in NACHI. Most are quite productive NACHI Member Businesses today.

Some were opportunistic and are no longer with the Organization or the Profession of Home Inspection.

Nothing Personal.

Mark T.,Nick chose to remove himself from the members section - no one else even suggested it.

I couldn’t disagree more about planning and hirings. Planning projects will allow ALL of the to become realities without the need to add salary.

You mention costs increasing, yet your solution is to increase costs instead of FREE planning that makes the best use of current resources, increases efficiency and and maximizes productivity.

I had no qualifications, training, or experience at starting the world’s biggest and best inspection association when I founded NACHI… but I did have a secret weapon…

Volunteers?