No ac

Digging a grave Juan.

Do you recommend installing a dishwasher, microwave, trash compactor, etc?

When I find the occasional home with no AC/cooling, I make no mention of it. It is not a required component.

Apples and oranges.

If I find a home with insufficient heating and cooling such as this one … I might recommend an upgrade.

In this case with the absence of ductwork, I might suggest a mini-split system to assist in humidity control as well as cooling.

Information contained in a home inspection report is not limited to just the sales transaction, IMO. It has many other uses, as well. See use #5.

Not in my book. Anything that is not a required component, is simply a “comfort or convenience appliance.” If it’s present, I report on it’s condition (with some exceptions), if it’s not present, I make no mention of it.

“Heat” is a necessity (required by law), while coolers/chillers are not.

Just mark it not present, and move on. if you dont some low life lawyer will try to sue you later saying the first time buyer did not have the professional knowledge thats why the hired you.
Mark not present move on. no recommendations
CYA CYA

Agreed.

What do you think. Or Anyone.
1# Maybe if one amends ones PIA to allow “comfort or convenience appliance” as an non referral but what is in the market place.

2# When you talk to the client during the non destructive inspection or a post inspection meeting you can inform them about all the systems and or addon components in the market place dedicated to comfort and convenience.

Actually, in most jurisdictions in my state there are no “laws” that require heat, either … which is another reason why home inspectors should not limit their inspections and recommendations to “code”, IMO.

Different strokes for different folks. I guess this is one of the reasons why we don’t all work for the same company, right?

1. Buyers can use the inspection report as a “punch list” or “to do list” for maintaining the property after purchase.

a.> If you say its part of the “punch list” than it can or may be seen as a referral. The word list becomes requirement items. A list of defects. A list of deficiencies.
b.> maintaining the property after purchase. If there is no system or component to be repaired, upgraded or maintained would you not be boxing yourself in? Leaving yourself open to interpretation.
JMO.

Indeed.

My business model is simply this - I try to limit my recommendation for “upgrades” to things that may have an affect on the structure (i.e. roof gutters, hard surfaces, tree trimming, etc.) rather than amenities that might make the home more “desirable” (i.e. AC, automatic garage door openers, heated toilet seats, etc.).

Me, too. What affect can excessive humidity have on the indoor air quality and the interior of a structure, in your opinion?

If I lived in an area with high humidity, I would certainly consider the potential effects. However, here in CA, we get uncomfortable when the humidity levels increase to over 20% (such as today with expected 50% RH).

Even in our most humid climates (beach communities), most residences are still constructed without cooling systems.

Like I said … different strokes for different folks. We don’t work in a “one size fits all” industry, do we?:wink:

In some climates, unlike yours, cooling systems are essential to a healthy indoor air quality. That is why I usually recommend them when I find them absent.

If at your inspection THAT DAY seeing visible signs of degrading components, destructive influencing on surrounding, efflorescent, staining, condensation due to excessive RH and or degrading structure, materials or systems then a recommendation is required.
IE: The canopy effect by to many tress, shrubs, lot slope effecting the foundation through capillary exchange with high RH in the basement it becomes a referral.

We can not predict the future. The inspection is a moment in time. That days specific notes, images if used and report. We do not predict what MAY occur due to seemingly abnormal conditions that day.

I would report RH as above the norm if I find no conclusive evidence, install some fact into the report and move on.

Limitation due to access covers your BUTT. My CRA.
I do not see into walls unless I use my bore-scope. IR (infrared and TI) have limitations. The biggest is the operator then the camera’s abilities in my opinion.
It a visual non destructive inspection on condition at the time of the inspection.
JMO

Robert, I’m sorry but I am not able to understand the gist or the relevance of your last couple of posts. If you are disagreeing with something I said, can you just tell me what that is in a single sentence. I don’t think my brain is working right this morning.

Sorry Jim.
I will let it pass then.
Again I am tired.
All the best.

I am called away from my PC often Jim.
Proper editing and sentence structure will take effect shortly.
Thanks for your patients.

Post #23.
5. Buyers can use the inspection report as a “punch list” or “to do list” for maintaining the property after purchase.
A (to do) or (punch list) list may be interpreted by others as required items or referrals.
Do you think the term “maintaining the property” may be misinterpreted?

I’m still not sure that I fully understand your question so if I miss it with this response, I apologize.

There are more uses for a home inspection report that simply a negotiating tool or as a source of information about a home that one intends to purchase.

Among these other uses is to provide the new owner with a checklist of items “to do” to improve his home. Any unresolved issues that could not be corrected prior to close of escrow would, of course, fall into this category. So would the need for upgrades to heating and cooling systems since it is unlikely that a seller would foot the bill for anything of this nature.

I don’t follow your point of “interpretation” so I cannot address it other than to say that complete, accurate and unbiased description of the conditions of a home is all that I am paid to provide. Any “interpretation” made by anyone after I write it is totally up to them.