No expansion tank on closed plumbing system

What did the inspection tags on the check valves say? Those should give a clue as to their purpose…

Around here, for irrigation systems on residential lots where the municipal water system is used, a vacuum breaker is required to prevent backflow. For non potable water systems, there should be signage or the visible plumbing has to be painted a lavender color where the general public has access to it. Many newer subdivisions have irrigation systems that are controlled by the HOA and use both types of water sources. When “city water” is used, manifolds with check valves would be found in community common areas. Those are typically in some sort of secured enclosure or below ground box. Regardless of water source, annual inspections are required for the backflow prevention systems and tags are typically placed on them to show that they were inspected.

2 Likes

The tags just had the service expire date and company name on both. They do state that they are backflow preventers.

Same tag on both assemblies

Wow, those tags are really clean for being 6 months old.

1 Like

This help, Gavyn?

0-

5 Likes

Yes thanks. I’ll have to learn how to do that lol

Trip hazard.

In addition to a clear indication that water heater expansion can’t just backflow to the City main.

Brian had good narrative. Or “No expansion tank was observed at the water heater. Many water heater MFG’s require installation of an expansion tank, especially on homes with a backflow prevention device to the city water main. This home has a backflow prevention device located on the front lawn. No further investigation of this system was made”.

If you list systems that need periodic maintenance by the new owner ( I do ) the backflow preventer goes on the list. I’m not a fan of the devices: I think it’s a lot of cost and trouble for a benefit that’s not well documented. But, if it’s there, it needs to be maintained.

That said the biggest hazard I see here is that a guy in a riding mower will hit the backflow preventer…

2 Likes

It’s impossible to know how every AHJ in every municipality does things, but when I do know, I inspect accordingly. I’ve also called up AHJs and asked “Why are you allowing that?”

But when I do know that an installation is not according to manufacturer’s instructions, I call it out. When suspicious of an installation, I’ve pulled out the manufacturer’s instructions to confirm or deny my suspicion.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s extremely difficult to say the least, especially with all of the small towns north of the metro area that are just now stepping into the modern era of websites and such. . .