No foundation between slab and crawl

Originally Posted By: jsmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P4190076.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: mmasek

The crawl space should have a wall on all sides, this would help contain dirt under slab. I’ve never seen construction as in your picture.

Good luck

Mark

Originally Posted By: jpope

Never mind the crawl space, the SOG should have a perimeter foundation.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

Hard to tell from one pic. But my guess is this is a slab on grade that should not have a crawl space. Like you mentioned the dirt has erroded away. Recommend a foundation person.

Rob Z.

www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

That looks like the rare and elusive levitating slab.

A special fix would be required. I would expect something along the lines of injecting concrete slurry below the slab. If I were providing the fix I would be concerned with how many other locations like this under the slab and how to locate them. Refer to a foundation expert for further evaluation and repair recommendations.

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

How about this Jon?

"Undermined foundation noted at slab on grade adjacent to crawlspace area. The unsupported slab at this area is danger of cracking. Recommend further evaluation and repair by a licensed foundation contractor"

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Paul

What if the new buyer isn't concerned about some "cracks" in the concrete?

I like this response:

"Undermined foundation noted at slab on grade adjacent to crawlspace area. Recommend further evaluation and repair by a licensed foundation engineer/contractor"

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

Curtis,

I have sat in at presentations by lawyers that say you are at risk of being sued if don't tell them what might happen if they don't address the problem. I always try to state the issue, state the possible consequences of not addressing it, and recommend who to call to fix it.

How about this? "Undermined foundation noted at slab on grade adjacent to crawlspace area. The unsupported slab at this area is danger of collapsing. Recommend further evaluation and repair by a licensed foundation contractor"

Originally Posted By: jsmith3

Thanks a lot guys: The deal fell through on this one, but I might run into this again, I have a feeling we had a contractor in the area back in the 50’s and 60’s that used this technique.

Jon