No Gas Day May 19, 04

Originally Posted By: jrooff
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Don't buy gas on May 19th
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES. THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR behind " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP
OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES
IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO? REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING
COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU
KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE
CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Sure, I’ll participate, but first let me fill my vehicles on the day before like millions of other people. Do we really think this strategy would work. I doubt it. Oil barrons would only laugh.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Not purchase it? But still use it? That just means we will have to buy MORE, the next day.

They know that.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Gasoline is a commodity and the price is governed by the futures market in many ways. Buying gas today, tommorrow or the next has little impact on the pricing.

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/marketquotes/index.php3?market=1HU

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jrooff

By reading the last of this Idea, by the way it was sent to me, this could send a message, that if we could do it once, maybe we could do again and that just might get there attention. Who knows maybe it will never work, but what the he!! a shot in the dark is better than getting another buck up the butt from the dam oil barrons. icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/2/5/55790052.html

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/4/5/55790354.html?mpop

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Joe H. is on the right track, except that the price is not governed by the futures price, the futures price is based on what one thinks it will be selling for at a given point in the future. I buy a futures contract for 10,000 barrels at $32 per barrel, which I can exercise on a given date, for a given time frame. Oil goes to $37 per barrel and I bail out, selling to some else, I gain $5 per barrel, or $50,000. I decide to hang onto it, and the price drops to $30 per barrel, I am on the hook for $2 per barrel, or $20,000. Unlike an Option, the Future has more potential, and greater risk of loss.

Oil is the commodity, and gas prices are roughly based on that, with that price based on future reserves, current production, future use, future production and (not least and not last) supply and demand (this is simplifying it, there are many more things which effect its price).

jrooff was referring to the latter, which in no small way does affect the price of gasoline.

Take where I live, for example.

I am, maybe, 15 miles from the port where it is brought in by ships. Yet I pay much more for it than other areas where it has to be trucked long distances.

No (or relatively little) transportation cost versus trucking it hundreds of miles. Any cost savings? Yes. Any price savings? No. Because the demand is so high in this area.

That said, it would take a major effort to make a 'don't buy month' have a real affect, and could we all go a month without it? I couldn't. Supply and demand has its limits. Besides, they know the demand is still there.

And what if we did go a month with buying any? They would know that we would all need to start buying again ... and soon. That the demand is still there.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida