No p trap in finished basement wet bar

Hello, had a finished basement, a wet bar that had no p trap- the drain line below the line of the main drain of house so the water drain runs directly to the sump pit. Question- while I would write up as defect- there is no sewer gas possibility as only this drain line goes into sump pit-so need to make buyer aware of defect which I will but issue is not a safety hazard - any other thoughts on reporting of issue Also, the sump discharges to the outside of house

Sinks need traps. If it is a wet bar, could it have alcohol poured down it? That would be a safety hazard…IMHO

Understand sinks need traps- but they are to create blockage of sewer gas, which in this case does not apply since not connected to the main drain system of house. Why would alcohol being poured down drain and then into sump pit, ultimately pumped out side the house- just curious of the issue with alcohol pumped out with other water in sump?

Thanks

More likely it is set-up like a commercial sink… to an air gap at the floor drain (p-trap in the floor) and not directly to waste!
Wish people would post photos with their questions!

Edit: Just read his entire post. Plumbed to sump pit… there’s your air gap.
Unconventional, but many AHJ’s would allow it for a wet bar sink.

I would attach pics- but I don’t see an attachment button/ paper clip on screen

IMG_4888

I figured it out- the screen when I pose a question does not allow me to attach pics though?

Because it is flammable and the motor in the sump pit creates a spark when it starts up…is how I thought of it. YMMV. JMO

Ken, you can copy and paste the pictures directly into your post, too. :smile:

Or “Drag-N-Drop” also.

So, basically as I described above, only using the sump pit instead of the floor drain.

Every fixture shall be trapped or discharge into a trapped fixture with an air gap. This sink should drain into the sanitary sewer either by gravity or ejector pump. Some may make the argument this could be considered gray water which is correct however the method of disposing of grey water has to be approved and dumping the sink waste into the storm water pit would not be an approved method in any jurisdiction. I would write this one up in my report as needing correction.

I see a saddle fitting in your photograph, write that up as well if it’s part of the drainage system. No pipe in the drainage system shall be drilled or tapped.

Thanks for the input- can you further educate me with regard to the saddle fitting with the crank attached?

Thx

Km

http://forms.iapmo.org/email_marketing/codespotlight/2017/Jun15.htm

For the IPC reference 707.1 (6) where a saddle tee is listed as a prohibited fitting. Prohibited in both IPC and UPC. That covers most of the states in the country. You can read through the book and learn why a sink cannot drain into the storm water pit as well.

The “crank” looks like a small drain connected to what I assume is a sanitary drain pipe. This should be corrected by a licensed plumbing contractor.

There are enough red flags here to have a plumber take a closer look. I don’t see shut off valves for the bar sink as well.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/chapter-7-sanitary-drainage

Forget the code… use your brain on this one :slight_smile: I don’t care if it’s a “wet bar”. People do things they don’t think through all the time. It is only a matter of time before the new homebuyer uses the sink to clean dishes or some such and dumps that into the sump pit… that is wrong. It needs to dump into a properly sealed “sewer ejector pit”. At that point, it obviously needs a p-trap.

Why does a sink need to drain into the sanitary sewer and not a storm water pit? See below.

301.3 Connections to Drainage System

Plumbing fixtures, drains, appurtenances and appliances used to receive or discharge liquid waste or sewage shall be directly connected to the sanitary drainage system of the building or premises, in accordance with the requirements of this code. This section shall not be construed to prevent indirect waste systems required by Chapter 8.

Martin,

Thanks for the link, I did read and see where the there is an exception noted for drainage of bath water, showers, if system is a private, not public sewage system, which is the case here, with reference to chapter 13 or 14 for further clarification- I was unable to gain that clarification when referencing those chapters

A private system is a septic system. The sanitary discharge still needs to go into the septic system.

Let’s not over think it…And let that one slide. Tell your client that technically it should have one, but not a big deal. Done.

1 Like

A sink discharging to an approved indirect receptor does not require a trap unless the pipe exceeds the maximum allowed length (check code as I don’t remember). The liquids being discharged and the final location of the receptors discharge is something different.