No Plumbing Inspection Comment

How about this Charley! I explained to them most of the stuff that Jeffrey puts in his comment plus many more so they do not buy the place without getting the full Inspection done of all the plumbing.
However there have been a few that did it anyways and failed to listen.

Kevin, if a client called you to inspect a home, perhaps a foreclosure, you would completely decline the inspection if any utilities were turned off?

I will always encourage them to ask the seller to turn them all on, but sometimes (in a bank owned) you cant get it turned on.

Is it more risky to buy without a full inspection, yes it is, that’s why the comment about what could happen, and defects may be present. It must be nice to have such a thriving business that you can turn down an inspection completely if the water is off. I have inspected homes with the water off, and with no electricity on.

Sometimes they plan to repair all the plumbing because the home is priced so low its still a good deal.

Mike I understand that you must do that in the States. We don’t have that issue here.
Do a search for SSM Ontario foreclosure.
The only time we would not have the power on in a Home is if an upgrade was needed and the Electrical Authority cut the power to the home for safety reasons.
The only reason to find the gas off is if it was locked off to the home for safety reasons.
Only reason to have the water off is if a leak occurred or it was winterized.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/avatars/kwood-11353.gif?dateline=1355602559 KEVIN WOOD, CMI](InterNACHI®️ Forum)

InterNACHI Member

Re: No Plumbing Inspection Comment

Your changing your story now as usual:roll:

Mike I personally won’t do a inspection without all utilities being on.

On Repo’s I have found that most banks will turn on the utilities if pressured to do so or they will allow buyer to pay for them to be turned on.

I just tell clients I can not do them Justice if no utilities and they usually get them turned on. I miss very few and I don’t need them anyway but I am just a old no nonsense stubborn coot

How about this Charley!
Then my smart Client, that listens to my advice, will not buy the home.

Well Kevin lets put it this way I don’t know you personally we have never met and probably never will. Your advice on this board has had a lot of question raised so I don’t know if the advice you give clients is good or bad.

%between%

Thanks, Charley. I always encourage them to make sure the utilities are all on, and explain that without the water turned on, it is impossible to discover leaks in supply and waste. If they want to move forward with the inspection anyway, I do it, but explain I do not offer discounts for “partial” inspections. I will, however, return and finish the inspection later for a “minimal charge”.

BTW, I’m a stubborn coot, just not admitting I’m old yet…:mrgreen:

Thanks Juan. I use that one as well, in my cover letter.

BTW, I sent you an email asking about your work around for the Energy Analysis. Do you have a working formula??

The more accurate information I put in, the more accurate results I get. Even givin it away for free for a good cause is charging too much.

I have gotten some good donations though :slight_smile:

Sorry for not responding. I get a lot of emails. Some of them slip by.

I don’t care whether utilities are on or not. I let the client know up front what the limitations of the inspection will be, and they get to decide.

I am 100% void of any “emotional” or egotistical attachment to the inspection, the home or the sale. I’m not there to be their “savior” or to puff my chest out and say “don’t buy this house or you’ll be sorry.” I call these guys the “HERO HOME INSPECTOR,” acting as if they’re going to save the unsuspecting home buyer from impending disaster. That mentality is utterly ridiculous.

I deliver the facts to the client. The fact is, if the utilities are not on, the inspection will be limited. The fact is, if the house has been vacant for an extended period of time, there could be issues that will develop only after the home is occupied for some time.

Too much detail? How is that possible?

I guess some day I will see these masterful designed reports that you do in half the time of most Inspectors on other MB’s consider not enough time to do a report.:wink:

“Set you client’s expectations”-- Home Inspection Business 101…Good stuff Jeffrey!

I thought you West Virginians still used hand pump wells and out houses!