No support posts required!

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Did a six-family Inspection today and would like to show you all some very inexpensive and comical homeowner fixes. The seller stated that he had the electrical service upgraded, the beams and support posts replaced in the basement (due to major powder post beetle activity) and the exterior chimney was repaired.

The electrical work was flawless.

Why purchase cement filled lally columns? Save yourself some money. All you have to do is get some 1? metal strapping, wrap it around the bearing end of these beams, and then nail this strap to the closest floor joist. That?ll work fine! The electrician stapled his wires to this beam. I wonder if he even noticed these comical attachments.
![](upload://vbkeyn3G7biL3DvC7XiJNLnBFm8.gif)

The main girder was replaced last month. Hmmmm....I wonder why it's compressed already.

This chimney was leaning at one time. A very easy and cheap fix though.
Just get yourself a 2x8 plank and rest one end of this plank on the leaning chimney and slowly slide the other end downward against the roofing shingles (scrape that granular surface, while your at it) until the chimney straightens out a bit. Then bang in some nails at the roof end to hold this plank in place. You save yourself a chunk of money from hiring a mason to repair that damage and the 2x8 plank is very inexpensive.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dbowers

David, No wonder they call you picky, I can’t believe you’d mention little things like that and ALARM a buyer. Remember - no house is perfect!!

Dan (The realestators friend) Bowers

Originally Posted By: tallen

That is a nice looking romex job. Makes me wonder why they did not have the sparky do the Structural repairs.(or did they) icon_wink.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rwills

Dave, Actually, I believe that may be one of them “skyhooks” instead of a strap icon_lol.gif Then again, maybe he was “strapped” for cash!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

I am in the wrong business! I should have taken repair lessons from this guy! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers