No SupraKey, No Referrals

Iin February, San Diego switched from the Supra system to the Sentrilock system. Much more convenient since the Sentrilock system involves a device the looks and size of a credit card. I always wanted to get the appropriate “key,” but SDAR doesn’t allow affiliate members to have them. Alas, Jim, my Domestic Partner, has been a Realtor at Century 21 Award since May 2005, so if I need to get in under unusual circumstances, he can let me in.

I present to my clients that only those with an interest in the outcome of the sale of the home have the owner’s trust and confidence for immediate access at any time. The real estate association requires that I join and become one of their “associates” before giving me a supra key which is something I simply refuse to do.

For their share of the commission, the real estate salesman can at least show up and unlock the door.

I’ve had the real estate salesman actually pass the combination off to the buyer. Here we are…the two of us…going through this stranger’s house, looking in their closets, their basement, their garage…with no real estate agent in sight.

And people actually PAY their real estate salesmen for this. I can hardly believe it.

I had one where the agent passed it off to me. Someone was willing to sell a home that was 2 hours away but was not interested in traveling that far to open the door …

I have had a Supra for years. I don’t mind paying a yearly fee for it. I would rather get my inspection started alone and not have a Realtor hovering. In our area, a Supra unlocks most boxes and those who don’t use that type of box, generally have combinations that they are happy to give me. Like Nick, I would have a problem being forced to have one. I like it better if it’s my idea.

Wow…I can’t believe how many Home Inspectors need Lock-Box keys in order to complete an inspection.

In Massachusetts, the listing Agent is always on site (99% of the time) to unlock the door for the Inspector and the Buyers. The other 1% of the time, the responsibility gets passed on to the Buyer’s broker. If they want the house to sell, they must be on-site on my inspection date.

Most of them even walk through the house (after I leave) and shut off any lights I missed, they make sure the windows are locked and they even confirm that the thermostat is placed to it’s original settings.

I feel bad for all of you who are held responsible for gaining access to a house you have to inspect. The less responsibility I have, the better off it becomes for me. It gives me time to think or relax (at times) during my busy days.

I wish I had the same experience. Quite frankly, I feel it is best to have the real estate agent to meet the client and I before the start of the inspection so that he/she can personally provide us useful information. For some clients, it is also desireable for the agent to return at the end of the inspection so that they can address any grey areas while I am still there. While some agents agree with this, I am finding all too often that convenience trumps service.:roll:

DITTO!!!

I have one for the Tyler area and it is not supposed to be used anywhere else. I would have to buy 2-3 others for the Metroplex, which I’m not willing to do.

I don’t really want to have to spend the $400 or so that I do, but I do it for my clients AND I don’t want to be dependent on the Realtor’s time schedule.

My .02 cents

I will say that our Realtors know what a CBS code is and provide them for me.

We didn’t use the CBS code until last November when a home inspector’s son began going into people’s houses…finally went into one and the people were home. “Uh, I’m just here to examine the uh…”

Shotgun approach. Now I gotta use a CBS code.:roll:

Bruce

went to do an inspection an hour away once. The buyers and I stood there for an hour waiting for the realtor to show. He finally call my cell and said he was having car problems and was stuck on the road side and could not get there. I noticed that the number on my caller ID was his office phone. The buyers walked because he would not give us the lock combination and wanted to do the inspection the next day. I sent a bill to the branch manager with a letter explaining what went on. He made the realtor pay my bill out of his pocket. I found out he had done this a few time before because he does not like to go out in below zero weather. He just likes to make his clients stand out in it.
He no longer works for that company.

Same here!
In 11 years I can not remember a single time where the agent “stood me up” for more than just a few moments. I generally get started on the exterior “after ringing the door bell” till the Realtor arrives. Often when they say they will be 15 min late, I don’t have all of my tools out of the truck yet!

I get asked if I have a key on occasion. It has never made a difference to my getting the job.

I think this says a lot about the professionalism of Realtors in certain markets.

However, it might also say a lot about the liability of Realtors in certain markets, as well as how hot the market currently is. A couple of years ago when listings had 20 offers on them before they even hit the MLS, Realtors came to the inspection, opened the door, went off to show other properties to other Clients, and came back at the end of the inspection. Now they are coming and staying for the whole inspection.

Typically, my supra sits in it’s cradle on my desk but just today two more calls warranted a look at it to make sure it was updated for use and low an behold I was able to say “okay, no problem” twice to the “it’s on a supra” statement. :smiley:

Late or no show Realtors can be handled by including working in your contract that in the event the inspector cannot access the Home or that such access has been delayed beyond a reasonable time (to you), then the inspection must be rescheduled and an appropiate fee will be charged, or that a portion of the scheduled Inspection fee must be paid if the Inspection is canceled and not rescheduled. Quite often the Realtor will pay that cost for the client in order to keep the client and the sale.

The same goes for when I show up and there is no electricity, water, or gas on at the home, I’ll inspect, with appropriate disclaimers, if the clients/realtor wants me to postpone until the sevices are turned on, then they pay for me showing up both times, or for showing up for the first scheduled, I require a 24 hour cancelation notice also…This is why I really like NACHI’s new “MY Agreement” service, I can have a signed contract before I go to the site, mutch better than a FAX.

The Realtor makes a lot more money off the sale than I do off the Inspection, the Realtor is also working under a 10 day time constraint, sometimes a 1 or 2 day because of their incompetence, the pressure is on them to get the inspection done, why would I want to do any part of thier job? No Key for Me!

Here in rural east Texas, most Realtors are still tying the door knob
shut with barb wire and rope. No supra key needed round these
parts partner.

If you don’t have the electronic key you wouldn’t believe how convenient a key makes life. I’m also a state licensed real estate broker and state certified general appraiser. With the key, its help yourself. REO’S typically have combo boxes. If you are a member of the multi-listing service and you find a combo box (and the combination is not on the listing, you can call the listing realtor and get it over the phone) like this morning. Another nice thing about being a member of the MLS, you can click on attached photos and usually see the interior of every room, click on attached documents and print off the property disclosures the seller is required to fill out at the time of listing, and do a history search on your subject. You will be surprised to learn that when the subject was listed with Number 1 Realty, the seller discloses the basement leaks and the sewer backs up on occasion. Then the listing expires, and the seller re-lists with Number 2 Realty and there is no mention of the prior problems. There are a lot of other things also available. You can pull a flood map and see if the subject is in a flood plain or setting on top of or near a toxic waste dump. You can pull the county assessors PRC card and get the date the dwelling first appeared on the tax rolls and what add-ons have been made and the year of the add-ons, plus detailed information about the subject the assessor has in code on the card. Gathering all of this data only takes a few minutes and eliminates a lot of surprises if you have the time. When I’m talking to a realtor about scheduling the appointment, and they discover they don’t have to meet me there, it’s like they have been born again.

SupraKey? Never seen one.

That’s okay. They are sooooooooo yesterday. :cool:

Inspectors in Pike/Wayne County, PA have to be ASHI or NAHI

I inquired about their affiliate membership a while back, I was told it was “preferred” that inspectors be ASHI or NAHI members. I’ve called them 4 times in 3 months before I gave up.

http://www.pare.org/res_buildinginsp.htm

scroll to the very bottom of their page. :roll:

I’m with AZ, check into getting one(here they are called D-keys). Only licensed realtors are allowed to have them in OR.