No tyvek behind siding

August, here’s a couple narratives I pulled from the MB

There was no water-resistive barrier visible at random sample locations at the exterior sheathing (OSB). Vinyl siding has always been designed as an exterior cladding, not a water-resistive barrier. Vinyl siding is designed to allow the material underneath it to breathe; therefore, it is not a watertight covering. Most of the model building codes, and thus the local codes based on them, recognize that the manufacturer of a product usually has a good idea of how its product should be installed in order to provide best performance. However this type (the way it is currently installed) of installation may have been recognized by the local building codes at time of construction.

Best Practice: To achieve designed performance, vinyl siding must be installed over a water-resistive barrier system that includes 1) a continuous water-resistive material and 2) properly integrated flashing around all penetrations.

LINK: Vinyl Siding Institute, Inc. F.A.Q

[FONT=Arial][size=2]The home appears to have been re-sided some time in the past with vinyl siding, as a result we are unable to inspect and give an assessment of the condition of the underlying materials or determine if the siding was installed in accordance with the standards and manufactures recommendations in place at the time of installation. It is recommended that you consult with the seller and obtain any available information on the installation contractor for future reference.
[/size][/FONT]

1 Like

Thanks Kenneth, That’s what I was looking for.

Thanks Kenneth.

I am very interested in finding out what area you work in and how the cases worked out in regard to your expert testimony. If you can message me that would be great.

This is becoming a large area of litigation because people when they have their homes sided, don’t stand out there all day watching what is done, which they should. If they don’t see a tyvek type material or barrier going up and foam boards or insulation boards don’t butt up to each other there is a major issue down the line for mold growth.

Mold growth is potentially a deadly issue, which people don’t realize.

Thank you JJ

This is a 6 year old thread, started using Tyvek in 80’s ( there was no requirement to have anything under siding at that time). Way it was explained back then was application of Tyvek wrap was like putting a wind breaker on. It would slow control moisture and air movement but still allow a house to breathe.

1 Like

I get it. DuPont has a lot of money. Like many products, DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® was probably just another solution in search of a problem.

Do you know anything better or more appropriate for this application?

To the best of my knowledge, most siding manufacturers have always required a WRB.

Prior to using Tyvek we used 15# felt, which provided a WRB but didn’t allow the structure to breathe. I’m both a fan of and a foe of vinyl siding, but one thing you can’t deny is it’s easy to install, relatively maintenance free and when installed with a WRB (ie Tyvek or similar) very few issues with discovering rotted substrate.

1 Like

Don’t underestimate felt paper, it is recognized as a smart vapor retarder. It does allow the wall to breathe, and the higher the humidity the more vapor it lets through. It will also suck up water if the sheathing gets wet and then let it evaporate. Tyvek won’t do this.