No Underlayment

And now, the quest for control of the home inspection industry has been given a new momentum: the digital gatekeepers such as Google and Facebook/“Meta” (and others), who are able to choke web traffic to some market participants while accelerating traffic to their own selected favorites.

I’m just as frustrated as you are. But don’t you think this statement is wildly exaggerated:

I feel that Nachi and @gromicko is doing everything in their power to expose corruption in the industry:

And keep in mind, I’m a guest in this house.

2 Likes

Nick Gromicko has his hands full with a lot of other issues that keep NACHI running. I don’t know that he has the time or the political will to take on the realtors and homebuilders and web entities who want to control the home inspection industry. That is why it is left for the individual home inspectors to raise this issue instead of cowering and whispering about it.

And yes, I was reading a thread on a Facebook home inspector forum just yesterday, wherein a string of home inspectors all chimed in unison, to the effect that, “No, it’s not necessary for a home inspector to have any experience in construction or real estate.” It made me wonder how many dissenting voices were potentially being blocked and silenced on the same thread.

This is my observation.

1. Home builders have increased the number of obstacles for a buyer to have a private inspection.
  2. Realtors are certainly the main referral source for buyers. This is a double edged sword. Good realtors refer good inspectors, bad realtors refer bad inspectors.
  3. With the internet, buyers are much more capable of researching and qualifying home inspectors. Once again, double edged sword.
  4. Your strongest referral source is word of mouth followed by consistent marketing. Realtors should know you exist and understand your product. Anything cozier than this is an ethics issue.
2 Likes

I think real estate agents aren’t long for this world. We just won’t need them soon.

2 Likes

I think the same about real estate appraisers. And I was a state-certified appraiser back in the late 80’s/early 90’s. There is so much comparable sales data and other information available on the web now, that an educated seller or buyer can formulate a pretty good opinion of value. The appraiser is fast becoming more of a rubber stamp than he ever was. And yes, real estate agents are becoming more like hand-holders and therapists for sellers and buyers alike.
The importance of the home inspector becomes even more pronounced as he or she becomes the “person with the most knowledge” of the actual features and condition of the subject property.

Probably so, except where there are no reasonable comps or similar properties for a sales comparison approach. There will likely always be a need for some cost approach or income capitalization approach.

If I were an appraiser, I would gravitate towards those niches.

1 Like

The cost approach and the income approach already form the basis for any legitimate appraisal, along with the market approach. It seems the income approach is what is actually driving the current market frenzy. Investors enjoy immediate positive cash flows after financing with these artificially-low interest rates.

Yes… I put Williams on Ignore months ago. He’s definitely not worth my time to respond to, or even read what he’s trying to say.

2 Likes

Ignorance is Bliss.

I seems like you would know, David. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

What a comeback! Wow! Did Bud tell you to say that?

Proven over and over again. Does add amusement to an unmoderated forum though… :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

I’m here to stew the corporate boot-lickers.

Shit in stew is your favored flavor…

3 Likes

Constitutional Law Group?? They’re not even real lawyers.

Sounds like you have been listening to a bunch of “fact-check” liars.