Non clients who want a receipt

What is your response to realtors/buyers who want to purchase a report or receipt from you after the previous buyer, who you did the inspection for deal falls through? I know the original buyer who paid for the inspection owns it, but sometimes they sell it to the next guy who wants me to give or sell them a receipt.I get asked to sell old reports or receipts from time to time, and they always say it doesn’t need to be inspected because it already was. I always tell them I can do a single component or full inspection in order to give a receipt. Would like to know how other people handle this? Usually its some buyer who doesn’t want a home inspection so they pass on it, then find out they need a receipt for the loan.

“Sorry, can’t help you with those requests…”

5 Likes

It’s called ‘fraud.’ They want a receipt to indicate that you did the report for them so that they can use that as a bargaining or bail chip. Don’t know what state you’re in, but mine requires a licensed home inspector report to get out of the contract because of inspection. I did see on your website that you provide InterNACHI buy back guarantee. Don’t you think there might be a problem with someone wanting a buy back after you sold them a receipt for a report that you didn’t do for them? I hope you know good lawyers cause you’re going to need them!

8 Likes

I would never sell the receipt to a non client. Maybe my wording was not clear. I only tell them I can do a single component or full inspections.

Well just say I won’t do that and move on.

4 Likes

no

8 Likes

So basically, they want you to be party to insurance fraud!

10 Likes

We won’t provide an invoice to anyone who didn’t book our service…

6 Likes

Just say NO to insurance fraud.

But I have a related question: what if it’s a report for the buyer and the deal falls through. Now a second buyer wants an updated inspection report? Are there ethical lines there in doing a short form inspection or simply selling the original report to a second legitimate agent/buyer?

1 Like

New client, new day, new inspection. Simple…

15 Likes

And to add to that :moneybag:

5 Likes

Yes, always…:wink::+1:

1 Like

An ‘updated’ inspection report equates to a “new and separate FULL inspection”.

7 Likes

Three guesses what caused this ‘damage’? (First two don’t count)…

1 Like

Movin out?

4 Likes

Thus the reason for a new, complete inspection. ANYTHING can happen after the original inspection, even the next day. I’ve heard stories of homeowners/handymen making repairs and ‘flushing’ paints/debris/whatnot down the drain and plugging it up midway to the sewer mainline requiring digging up the yard for repairs!!

4 Likes

How do you know some of the issues weren’t fixed after your first report. Just do a completely new inspection

1 Like

I’ve inspected the same house a week later. Found bad substandard repairs, and if we’re being honest, you’ll always find something new.

I find saying something along the lines of “company policy” assertive and without hesitation works well.

4 Likes

Its embarrassing anyone would even ask this type question.

Are they that hard up for $$$$$$. Have they ever taken an ethics or basic business class.

Not Theirs to Sell … Its their CLIENTS

3 Likes

NO. No way, not with the reports, receipts, anything! If that ticks them off, then they were not your target market anyway.