Non-GFCI in Kitchen & garage ?

This question has been bugging me for some time:

The electric outlet that a dishwasher & disposal plugs into, under the kitchen sink, that are certainly within 3’ of a water source – why isn’t that outlet required to be GFCI protected? Or is it supposed to be, but NONE of them are?

Same theoretical question applies to a Central Vacuum tank installed in a garage in a dedicated outlet… It’s an electric outlet in a garage, isn’t it supposed to be GFCI protected?

The rule applies to kitchen counter receptacles. Those are the ones that folks actually use with hand-held appliances while around water…

Regarding garages, dedicated circuits are exempted. Probably for the same reason–the occupant is not actually plugging hand held appliances into the receptacle.

Search the site for a PDF file which will tell you where the rule applies and when the various rules were enacted.

in short, the garbage disposal and dishwasher are plugged into “dedicated curcuits” as he said which means there for that appliance ONLY. if the plug for the disposal is a duplex (regular 2 plug outlet) then the other plug needs to be disconnected (breaking the little tab between the two) or a single outlet. hope that helps.:cool: ( by “in short” apparently i mean longer than the post i’m quoting:roll: )

The “washing machine” exception is a lot less universal after 2005. Any outlet within 5’ of the “laundry sink” has to be GFCI and there is no exception for dedicated receptacles. The only way you can avoid it is if you have a standpipe drain and no sink.