northern california nachi chapter

Originally Posted By: Greg Looney
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello, I am considering a career change in HI and was looking for a northern California chapter. I also notice that there are several association groups, but seem to drawn to this one. Any input on where to get my formal education in HI would be nice. Thanks for the help. -Greg P.S. it’s OK to poke fun at my name, I’m used to it. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rking

Hi Greg,

Welcome to NACHI and the home inspection business.
If you browse through these forums you will learn a lot of things about the business and other things too!
I personally did my training through an Enginering and Consulting firm out of Toronto, Ontario called Carson, Dunlop & Associates.
There course is very thorough and their technical support during and after is excellent. I also use their home reference book as a reporting system and my clients love it.
You can check them out at www.carsondunlop.com
Best of luck in your future endeavours!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Thanks Robert for making me feel so welcome! Yes, I can see how just browsing this web site one can learn a great deal. I will check out c.d.&a as you suggested, I am eager to learn all I can. Keep up the good work! -Greg

Greg,

That is what we are all here for. You will quickly come to realize by browsing through this site that by and large it is all for one and one for all.

Any questions you have will usually be answered quite quickly around here too.

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Greg

It is very difficult to advise on training opportunities for all areas of the US, but Carson Dunlap has a great reputation and also ITA gets good press, but beware there are a hell of a lot of people out there who just want to seperate you from your hard earned cash. I would suggest checking out your local colleges as some do a great job. I myself teach college in Massachusetts, check out all your local options and if you like e-mail me direct at Education@nachi.org and I’ll try to advise based on what is available to you in your area. Also an area we do not discuss much hear is the franchise route as many companies offer training as part of their packages, I know of several members who have been very sucessful going that route.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

You're back!
I have to ask; how do you find time to do inspections, teach, be on the ed. committee and post so many messages on these boards?
Must be a lot of coffee and a little sleep ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

what sleep icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Greg:

Newbies have a few things they can do which is open to all.

1. Take our free online exam. It tells you where you might be weak. Its a good self-evaluation tool. Different every time you take it.

2. Take our free online course at http://www.nachi.org/course.htm It is helpful.

3. Read thru this message board. It is very helpful.

4. http://www.nachi.org/success_tips is helpful.

Nick

PS http://www.nachi.org/form.htm in CA. We need one.

Wow! I never expected responses so fast, but I take it that there is no chapter in California at all. Looks like I’ll have to get on the ball and make it happen. I have already started the online course and have been saving them in a file for further reference. Such a warm welcome and a load of information to review, makes me want to become a member fast. Can someone suggest any books to buy for when I don’t have access to the net? Thanks again for all the kind support, you will be hearing more from the Loonmiester. icon_lol.gif

Loonmeister,

I have, and I suspect most tohers have as many code books as they can afford to have and a lot of other reference material for any house system.
There are a couple of guys on this board that I know have the NEC because they can post quotes from it!
I have the Canadian version as well.
Up here there is an organization called CMHC ( Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation) that underwrites? mortgages for homebuyers with less than a 25% downpayment they have a multitude of publications out dealing with everything and anything to do with construction. I have quite a few of those publications in my library.
I would imagine that a few of those books would be applicable in your state as well. You can check out their website at www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca
I am not sure if there is an organization down there that is the equal to CMHC but if there is I am sure that someone will tell you about it here.
Gerry Beaumont seems to be chock full of references for websites and information so now... Over to Gerry!!!!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections

As always, above and beyond! Thank’s Gentlemen. icon_wink.gif

Hi to all

Robert, thanks for the (misguided) praise.

Loonmeister, for the record my personal favourite resources are:

1) National Electrical Codes
2) International Residential Codes
3) Residential & Light Commercial Contruction Standards
4) Playboy ( well everyone needs a change of pace ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) )

The first 3 are a little pricey, but also terrific door stops and a good cure for insomnia. I would not be without them.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Thanks Gerry for the list of books, I will start collecting the door stops. Between you, Nick and Robert alone I have quite a chunk to process. You guy’s are very helpful, thank’s for making this web site available to all. I plan on passing the online test soon and joining the ranks. Take care-Greg