Originally Posted By: psabados
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
Had a good one yesterday. One unit of the six unit condominium, 19 years old, hasn’t been occupied in nearly two years. Current owner has gone through and extensively upgraded the kitchen and first floor areas.
Aside from the typical mis-wiring of all receptacles and a few minor plumbing problems all went well. That is, unit it was time to inspect the fireplace.
Original pre-fab unit, no gas installed and a fair amount of soot and ash in the FP itself. Opened the glass, checked the plates everything looked OK
Could not get the damper valve to open, stuck closed. Everything was connected and I could see the valve trying to release. Hit it with the soft side of my Klein screwdriver and tried again
Well it opened, falling into the fireplace was a large pile of debris, mud and oh yeah about 30 PO'd wasp's. Thank goodness it was cool, they were not very active at the time.
First words out of my mouth was Oh crap, we've got a problem. I hate using the word problem too. Agent and buyer came over to the FP asked what was wrong, I showed them. Next thing I know they're out of the house. Closed the door on the FP. Waited to see what the wasps were doing.
Told them that I wasn't sticking my head in the FP to view the flue. Hey call for chimney sweep for further eval. but let them know what's in there OK!
Gave them one shot at the damper and flue only, they were starting to warm up