Not sure where to post this one...

I heavily doubt those sconces are rated for damp locations.
Maybe designing light fixtures and neon jaded me, but I consider that a bad location unless the are wet rated.The only type I would accept are like you see outside with a dome type shade(globe).

Using hanging from the ceiling “only” as a guide means you would accept this…below.
Wall sconce.jpg

I get it Bob, but the fact remains, there is nothing that prohibits that installation. As Marcel pointed out, even GFCI protection is not required for these lights, unless it’s required by the manufacturer.

So then what about this one? I called it Unsafe in the report. It was not GFCI Protected (along with the ungrounded, unprotected receptacle at the bottom of the wall next to the tub.

Listen guys ,we are not code inspectors so I think most members here know when something can be an issue and warn clients appropriately.

Glad we had code clarification which as we all know is great for backup.Lets all just step back and decide are we doing a code checklist or are we mentioning things to our clients beyond that.

Personally I often ask if they have kids,pets,etc, and give verbal warnings with reminders in the reports .

Code does not say remove log lighter keys when children visit as an example.

I leave this thread knowing what I would say.

That lighting fixture is certainly not listed for that location. However, the receptacle location is perfectly acceptable as long as this is not a manufactured home. Being ungrounded and without GFCI protection are the only issues requiring correction.

Knowing “what” to say and “how” to say it is a skill within itself, but if you intend to make recommendations that are not “code-based,” you need to rethink the “how.” This is not “how.”

Your implication is that this is an"improper" installation, when in fact, it is not.

Stating something like - *I/we recommend removal or relocation of the light fixtures in the tub area *- would be prudent, but don’t mention the “8 feet” part because that would be a misrepresentation of the actual code reference.

By the way, how did you determine that it was not GFCI protected?

Did you learn that in the Navy Marcel?:p:p

Well, the little bit a time I spent over there, there sure were plenty hanging around. :mrgreen:

There was no GFCI breaker/receptacle in the bathroom or in the vicinity of any other room on that floor or in the service panel. As we know, without a ground, a typical tester will not operate to check the circuit. If there is a GFCI in the vicinity, I will push the test button and re-check the receptacle for power. This is one of the most frustrating conditions for me and it drives me nuts. Especially when there are combinations of grounded and ungrounded 3-prong receptacles within the same home and even the same room! It confuses the heck out of some clients.

I use two different comments in my report depending on the location of the ungrounded receptacle whether it’s near a water source or not.

I also reinforce verbally to the client that most appliances used in bedrooms like clock radios, lamps, most older TV’s, cell phone chargers, vacuum cleaners, etc. only have two prongs on them and the grounded receptacle is of no advantage. However, if you have an appliance like a Flat screen TV or PC, Carpet Shampooer, the equipment ground helps protect those appliances and you.

I would love to be able to mark each receptacle accordingly. And less than 1% of people use the stickers “GFCI No Ground”. I don’t draw an electrical schematic in our standard price. Maybe that would be a good add-on???
Sorry for the lengthy answer, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Works for me…

SureTest sells a ground-continuity adaptor that can be used even with the three-light testers. With the GCA you can attach the alligator clip to a grounded component (such as a j-box, water pipe, faucet, valve, etc.) which will allow the GFCI function of the tester to trip the circuit if protection exists.

I find this adaptor to be very useful.

More and more, I am finding ungrounded replacement-receptacles to include GFCI protection (which is a proper installation), although I rarely find them with the proper label - “No Equipment Ground.”

61-175.jpg

Nice tool Jeff. Did you find it at PE, or elsewhere?

I don’t think PE carries it, but it’s less than $20 and available at several vendors.

Thanks Jeff.

I agree with Jeff.
Very nicely stated by the way! :slight_smile:

I’ll make you one… :wink:

I’ve used that a couple of times, it was brought up and discussed awhile back by Joe Farsetta on the boards somewhere. :slight_smile:

That works too.