Not your typical wallpaper

Mountain log cabin built circa 1920. The ceiling was papered with fine-grain cardbard master for printing an edition of the Boulder Daily Camera (local paper) from the early 40’s. Text was pressed or stamped in relief.

Interesting. Otherwise, I’m sure it was a challenging inspection (looks more like a stick house than a log house).

What look like fist sized rocks in crawspace were the original clay daubing. Worked beautifully as a medium for casting. You could see beetle trails from the logs.
No electricity, no running water, Log foundation pretty much rotted away.

If you look at the shot of the room you will see that the top 3 logs are offset toward the center of the room. On the other side of this room, the top three logs are offset away from the center of the room. I cannot understand why this was done.

Kent,

Damn Greenies and their recycling.

You get the good ones, don’t ya?

Was this advertised as a room with a view and other embellishments by the REA?

Because a great supermajority of our profession depends on Realtors to refer their Clients to us, I would hope that any name-calling of other professionals could be kept in the Members Only area.

As my wise ol’ grandmother said, “If you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say it, or at least say it in private.”

Whatchoo talkin bout Willis?

My grandmother used to say that but I’m too young to know where it came from.

It was just a little mountain cabin with great views at about 9,000 ft. Inspecting these things is a labor of love rather than a money-maker, but each time, you learn a little more about how builders thought back then and you sharpen your forensic skills.

It’s always fun to find things like the wallpaper and to try to figure out things like why this board was embedded in the middle of the living room wall. It protruded into the room about two inches. It goes clear through the wall…

When you cut out an opening for a window you should slot the ends of the logs on either side of the opening so that you can insert a spline (usually a 2x2 on these cabins). On this home they didn’t do that. Picture doesn’t really show that bulge all that well, but it’s there…

See the offset logs in the top of the wall a little better in this one. There’s a reason for that, I know there is…

Decayed/failed foundation log caused wall sag which caused roof sag which caused roof leak above the exterior wall which caused this viga to decay and wall log damage to wall logs beneath the viga…

Gary Coleman in “Different Strokes.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Coleman

Gary Coleman? Isn’t he that little black politician from California? I hadn’t realized that Barry is so political.

Well, that specific election here in California brought out about a billion “politicians.” If I remember correctly, some people even registered their pets as candidates, and I think someone’s pet in one of the rural counties actually got quite a few votes. That was one of the weirdest elections I’ve ever voted in.

I think Gary should have stuck to screen-writing.

That pet was out in Banning, where they encourage pets to vote.

Kenton,

What is the purpose of that cabin, for hunting, fishing, recreation, get-away?

Doesn’t look like a place to be with three feet of snow on the ground (or roof)…:smiley:

What is something like that (or-similar) selling for?

They were under contract for $40,000. It had been a summer cabin for many years and neglected for about 20. I think it had relatively good care up until then. 3 separate additions over time, only one really bad one. At least it was small.

A lot of the older cabins are of lodgpole pine, often around 5" max diameter, so they’re cold during the winter. This area’s pretty nice generally, about 300 days of sun a year, but the 2 weeks either side of the first of the year it often drops to -20 overnight with highs of -10.

Historically, many people from Texas and Arizona have owned cabins around here and come for the summer. This was probably one of those.

You get the good ones, don’t ya?

…and everything in between

How much land is with that for 40 G’s.?

Thanks!

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6848&d=1163277856

Now **THAT"S **what I call a “summer cabin”…:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I’m thinking it was 3/4 acre, about 25 minutes from Boulder. No driveway to the property. It was a very narrow lot with setback problems and difficult or impossible to install a typical septic. Probably possible to sink a well.

There are deals around for small properties like this but this wasn’t one of them. I’ve seen reclaimable foreclosures of similar log homes in much better shape for $50,000.

Probably $70,000 min. for something comfortable and livable within 30 min. drive of Boulder or Denver.

10,000 sq. ft., Jae. It has been unoccupied for a year. Check out the burners on the boiler…

I’m with ya Kent, it can be really interesting and enjoyable.:wink: