Notched girder repair--how to?

How do I fix a incorrectly notched girder or beam???

How ever the SE tells me to :mrgreen:… or I’ll just replace the beam/girder/lintel. Common sense doesn’t always apply to this stuff…

Something to keep an eye out for: If you are in a garage with a room built above it AND there is a beam that looks like it might have been in the way of a garage door opener install… many times you will find evidence of patching in the drywall surfaces covering the beam. I’ve caught this several times this year alone. Once you start looking for it, you’ll start to find it. It’s not comforting when you can plow an awl through what should be a 6 x 14 :shock:

The problem with those plates, Marcel, is that the original reason for the notch was to accommodate plumbing of some sort. With those plates, the plumbing cannot remain.

The same (or very similar) “technique” can be used on the underside of the beam or girder to allow the plumbing system to remain in place.

I find this all too often - especially up there in Land-scatter :wink:

Thanks to all. Marcel, nice photos. I’ll follow-up later and let you know what happens…maybe with photos.