Notebook/Laptop computer - whats the minimin needed?

Originally Posted By: Peter Siposs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Will be purchasing some inspection reporting software soon (not decided which yet) and would like to hear what people suggest as a minimum, or recommended CPU power. I have an older 650mhz Pent Dell Laptop but must assume its too slow.

I’d like something I expect to keep exclusive for inspections only to keep it clean and virus free etc.

Would like something with a decent mouse control.

Peter Siposs

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Hey Peter. i used a satalite 75mhz ca. 1990 with windows 98 as a note pad till it fell out of the truck and now i use a notebook. not a notebook p.c. but an actual paper notebook, then type/print report at home and deliver/mail next day. but i’m not fancy or proud. plus it gives me time to revew, look up stuff and realy set a good report for my client. all my software is on my $500 dell at home. just a thought for us who aren’t years into buisiness an need every penny til then. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: aberdahl

Hi Peter,

I’m using the Medion Akoya LS. It has a 12.1" screen and a weight of only 4.4lbs.

60 GB hard drive and 512 ram. This feature gives me lots of room for picture storage.

Like you I use this unit for inspections only and use a separate Toshiba 14.1"screen for home, email use and internet. I transfer to a high end desktop for long term storage to discs.

Hope that helps. You really want something that will be easy to use and is light weight with long battery life and short recharge.(I use an inverter for charging between inspections).

I have entertained the idea of a palm coder but still not sure of this application but looks good. I don’t know enough about that end of it.

Allan

Originally Posted By: Peter Siposs

Whats that?

I have heard of several inspectors that don't use a laptop at the site and do the site with paper then review notes and photos and recall info at the office later to make the written report. This common?
Peter S

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Hi Peter, I am currently using a compac pressariox1000 1400 MHz pentium M and 512 ram. I like the screen on this one after 40 this became more important. I also have a canon pixima ip 3000 printer so you can tell weight is not that big a deal to me. Heck my ladder weighs over 30 lbs.

When I first started I took hand written notes and came home to my desk top and finished the report. I did this until I became comfortable using my software and had dialed in my Home Inspection technique, oh yea, and made some money. I would suggest you do the same.

I will switch to a hand held device sometime in the new year when the new goodies come out with bigger screens.

Have you tried a few of the software programs? Many have free demos. After you have picked a software that should help you decide on CPU speed. After writing this my software says 1.5 ghz minimum so I guess I am just squeaking by.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello