Notebooks

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey can you other inspectors out there tell me what kind of notebooks you are using for inspections?

If you can please tell me a little about the pro's and con's of using the brand you have.

I am looking to purchase a new notebook and I am interested in finding out if there is any better than what I am using.

For those that are curious...I am using a gateway 5300 solo, 750 pentuim III, 384 MB ram, 20 GB hard drive.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jremas

deleted

Really, I had a gateway 5300 solo before I went out and bought this one. If you need some help fine tuning it so it runs better let me know I am sure I can help you out.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

FWIW, I saw Joe Myers’ notebook, software, camera, and printer in action. It was quite impressive…

BTW, Joe... Never got the disk I thought you were sending me...

Joe F

Hey Joe F.

My bust, I meant to send it to you before I left for Florida and I forgot. I am sorry...I am just plain dumb sometimes.

You will be happy to know that I mailed it earlier today and you should be getting it soon.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi I was just reading previous posts on the subject of hardware, I’m just starting an inspection business and decided that due to terrible handwriting amongst other issues that I wanted to generate on site reports including digital pictures. I looked at PDA’s but decided that they are too fussy and do not support full windows and only small key boards, but I did like the stylus inputs. Eventually after a lot of research I settled on a Fujitsu B142 it is 9 by 7 inches weighs 2.14lbs and has a TF touch screen. It is running win98 with 300mhz 128 mbram 6.4gighd, it also has i/r port for wireless printing ( I’m using Canon bjc-55) I think ultimately I will go to a pen tablet but need the key board for now until I’ve got my software database where Iwant it. By the way what are you using for software I cannot decided between 3D and HOMEGUAGE, would welcome any comments and suggestions.

Regards Gerry Beaumont[/b]

Gerry,

You are going to be a little underpowered with that setup. You need something a little meatier, such as a minimum 700 pentium III, along with 256 MB of memory, more if you can afford it.

I really can not say about the software, I use Micorsoft Word XP.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Brad Chasse

Hi Joe,

To get back to your original post. What is it about your current notebook that you don't like? The configuration seems to me to be adequate for running reporting software. Generally the type of software we use does not require a real powerhouse processor.

I'm quite the computer geek, so if you have any questions feel free.

P.S. Thanks for all your great posts. There not only informative, a few have actually brought me to tears.

Brad
Safeguard Home Inspections
Pocono Lake, PA

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

HI JOE & BRAD,

VERY INTERESTING TOPIC, IN RESPONSE TO JOE’S COMMENTS ABOUT MY COMPUTER CHOICE BEING UNDER POWERED FOR TYPICAL APPLICATIONS, I MUST SAY THAT I CURRENTLY HAVE BOTH HOMEGUAGE AND 3D EVALUATION PACKAGES LOADED UP TO IT AND DO NOT FIND IT LACKING IN PERFORMANCE, AND AT LEAST ONE OF THESE PACKAGES IS AVAILABLE FOR RUNNING UNDER WINDOWS CE/POCKET PC WHICH IS THE O/S FOR PDA TYPE COMPUTERS WHICH HAVE MUCH LESS RAM AND SLOWER PROCESSORS THAN MY NOTE BOOK,

I MUST ADMIT HOWEVER THAT I DO NOTICE THAT CERTAIN NON INSPECTION PROGRAMMES ARE MUCH SLOWER THAN ON MY 1.5GHZ DESK TOP. AND I AM LOOKING AT INCREASING MY SDRAM UP TO 256MD TO EASE THAT SITUATION.

REGARDS

GERRY BEAUMONT
THE FROZEN NORTHEAST

Originally Posted By: Rickbunzel

I use 3D on a Dell Latitude w/ 266mhz and 384mb of memory. Databases are not power hogs but graphics are. Performance is perfectly acceptable with 3D, thumbnail plus (picture mgr.) and Internet Explorer open. Sure I could upgrade to 1ghz + notebook but why? I have a desktop machine which is my power beast (2ghz, 512mb memory) so the laptop is pretty well dedicated to inspection tasks. At some point when prices drop I may upgrade but I got better things to spend my hard earned $$$ on.

//Rick

--
Rick Bunzel
Mountain View Property Inspections

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Rick

Thanks for info. on your laptop.

So do you enter all info. into 3-D using you laptop onsite and then when you get home upload pics from your camera?

I am in the market for a laptop and it looks like I won't need as much machine as I though.

Thanks

RonK

Originally Posted By: Rickbunzel

Actually after talking to some folks I decided not to do the report onsite. I may in the future but right now I like to take the time to think it over and make sure the report is error free and I included everything. 3D has a feature to print out a check sheet. I use that on a clipboard to take notes and then match everything up in the office.

//Rick

--
Rick Bunzel
Mountain View Property Inspections

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Rick

I think we are pretty much on the same page. I use the check sheets as well, but I am now looking into time saving options, such as using a laptop or a handheld. As for onsite printed reports, I don't think that I will go that route. Like you I like to take time to think things over, plus setting up a laptop and printer onsite is a pain.

So how is your online reports working out? I have just started offering online reports and so far I like it and the Realtors seem to like it.

Ron Kuntz
Pro-Spect Professional Home Inspections

Brad,

I am a little computer savy myself. That notebook was from another company and I had to return it and buy my own for this company. I liked the notebook a lot and it ran very well.

As for me, I am never happy with the way manufacturers and Microsoft configures anything. I did a considerable amount of tweaking to that notebook to get it running that well.

Anyway...I use Microsoft Word XP for the inspection reports and it seems to like lots of memory. While it worked well alone if you add the card reader to the setup it would bog down the notebook sometimes to the point where it would crash windows.

Now since Gateway no longer offers 98 SE I had to settle for XP. It really sucks since it is a lot like 2000 Professional, I did not like that one either. The biggest factor that you need to overcome with XP is compatability. Lots of programs still do not work correctly under XP.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Rick Oskirko

Microsoft XP is a big bear compared to Widows 98 SE but to we programmers, SE is the BEAR in that, well let’s just say it had more problems than 2000 or XP. When we distribute programs, it is best done in such a way as to not destroy any of your old settings. 98 SE just does not do that while 2000 and XP are better at protecting your old files. I develop on 2000 since I find it stable. We deploy using Windows Visual Studio Installer 1.1 whcih first checks to see what is on your system before it does any work. All in all, I would recommend going to Microsoft’s website and download the latest service pack for your operating system. Systems are becoing so cheap that a robust unit that can handle Windows XP does not cost that much anymore and is usually well worth the changeover.

Best of luck.

Rick,

XP has a learning curve that is just un"bear"able for most. I had become familiar with 98 and I could tweak it to the point it ran better than most machines running much faster processors and memory.

The real unbearable part of XP is the compatability list. Short and incomplete at best.

I really think the best part of windows XP is the resounding ability to crash programs instead of the OS. Not that it crashes any less than 98, just happens to crash only the program instead of the entire system.

Ahhh, it is a windows world.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Joe,

I just bought a Toshiba notebook with a pentium4 processor with 512 megs of ram at 2.0ghz and this baby flies with windows xp. Got it at circuit city with $200.00 REBATE and it being a open box came to around $1,100.00 and you can get interest free for one year, not a bad deal.

Kurt Bliss

Kurt,

Good deal...I like the Toshiba notebooks also. Your fingers just seem to glide accross the keyboard.

I just ordered more memory for the Gateway...I got tired of Word crashing. It came with 256 mb of memory and I am sure that after I add anther 256 to that it will work fine. XP is a real memory hog no matter if you get the professional or the home version.

XP as I pointed out is not all bad...however it is still a pain in the butt when the program crashes instead of the OS. All in all this should take care of it.

BTW...I rarely had a crash in 98....I tweaked it so that 750 pentium III was running as fast as a new 2 Ghz pentium 4.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Joe

Sounds like you know a little about computers,not bad. What software do you use for onsite reports?

Kurt Bliss

Word XP

Joe Myers