notes before writing on computer during inspection

Originally Posted By: Peter Siposs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m new to the inspection world and am wondering what people use or do to take notes before writing them in the computer. Something with memory joggers to check for this and that etc. What do you guys do?

Other than taking the Notebook everywhere with me what do I use?

Originally Posted By: mboyett

First of all, Welcome to the NACHI bulletin board. Good to have you on board.

For my first 20 or so inspections I used a hard copy printout with memory joggers. After getting very comfortable with the process I went to just a simple blank printout of my inspection report software and make handwritten notes that I transcribe onto my computer after I get back to the office. Let me know if you would like a copy of the memory jogger version. Unfortunately I only have it in pdf format.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: pehrenpreis

Michael,

This is a question that I was also "thinking" about.

I know you made the offer of sending the "other" Peter ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) a copy of your "memory jogger" but could you send one to me too?

Thanks,

Peter

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Peter E. , Please send me an e-mail and I’ll reply to you with the file.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

hay Peter, welcome to the board. my thoughts, if your ganna write on your computer, just make sure you use pencil so you can erase it. icon_lol.gif by the way how can you tell a blond has been using your computer?

A: there's white out all over the screen...... ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: mpasquinelli

Digital photos.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/l/look.JPG ]

I then take pictures of defects in that room. Once done I move to the next room point to the name, take a picture of the pad and so on. I find by doing this it lets me keep my findings accurate without taking notes.

Hope this helps.

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: thejnicki

I made my own sheet on microsoft word. I take notes during the inspection and then enter them at my office computer…The note sheet runs in the same order as my report software…

Originally Posted By: chorne

Welcome,

A hand held recorder is very helpful.

no need to take notes and it will save you time. Hope this helps.

Carla

Originally Posted By: away

I am with Carla. Digital recorders are very nice.

Tried writing notes but found out that I can't read my own writing. Plus it was taking forever.

For what it is worth, I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 camera that also allow an audio snippet to be recorded with each picture. Haven't tried it yet for an inspection.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: gporter

I use a digital camera and a tape recorder.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lclark

I take my time and take accurate notes. I only take photos of concerns I think the client doesn’t notice, primarily: Defects in the attic, foundation, crawlspace. I also take photos of main electrical disconnects, main water shutoff valves, and gas valves. I found that sifting through many photos takes me longer to do the report. I tried to use a recorder one time and felt funny talking into it in front of the client. It could have been that since I was a trucker some years ago, I always started with “Breaker Breaker 19”. icon_eek.gif

Just my double nickle

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Originally Posted By: lclark

Along with photos and good notes you need a guide line to your report, so you don’t forget anything. I use reporthost and they have a check sheet that follows their report.

" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

I put my laptop in the kitchen and take photos of defects. Between areas inspected I input the info to my laptop. Sometimes I write on my hand.

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

I can’t believe no one has mentioned using a handheld pda to select your notes on WHILE you are doing your inspection and then you can download the information to your PC to create your report. No reentering of data. This is the wave of the future and it can have prompts and everything to help you remember what you need to inspect and even have information on the handheld to help you do your inspection like standards of practice or building code info.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: jkormos

PDA, 3D Software, Digital Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, small note pad for scribbling and drawings. And definitely have a system. top to bottom or bottom to top, inside to outside, what ever works for you, it will all come with time.

Originally Posted By: jrivera

pictures, many, many pictures with minimal writing icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Jeff Knight wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned using a handheld pda to select your notes on WHILE you are doing your inspection and then you can download the information to your PC to create your report. No reentering of data. This is the wave of the future and it can have prompts and everything to help you remember what you need to inspect and even have information on the handheld to help you do your inspection like standards of practice or building code info.

Jeff

Believe it Jeff, just waiting for PDA technology to be worth it. I will switch with the next generation of gadgets. As I believe they will function as I would like them to. I came close to uying a 624 Mghz Axim but now I'll wait. Don't really need prompts to know what to inspect. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

Brian,

Can you define for me what “PDA technology to be worth it” ? Is there a specific feature you are looking for ? We have clients that have been using PDAs for over 9 years now. The HP iPaq 4705 is a killer PDA. If you have never tried it then you may not be aware of what you are missing. A PDA can do everything a regular computer can do…the software just needs to be written to do it.

Sorry...I did not mean "prompts" but I meant tabs or buttons where you can easily get to reference information to help you during your inspection. A good example may be a breaker size chart like this:

ALUMINUN / COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM : Breaker size

12 AWG - 15 Amp breaker
10 AWG - 20 Amp breaker
8 AWG- 30 Amp breaker

Jeff

Jeff Knight wrote:
Brian,
Can you define for me what "PDA technology to be worth it" ? Is there a specific feature you are looking for ? We have clients that have been using PDAs for over 9 years now. The HP iPaq 4705 is a killer PDA. If you have never tried it then you may not be aware of what you are missing. A PDA can do everything a regular computer can do...the software just needs to be written to do it.

Jeff

I am waiting for a faster processor, larger screen, and better wireless. Soon

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello