November is radon awareness month

Whether you sample for radon or you don’t, please get the message out and let’s stop these needless deaths.

Radon awareness is just beginning in Alberta. Up until recently everyone believed it was the same as rats…they stop at the Saskatchewan border and don’t enter Alberta…

Funny but true and sad at the same time Dan.

In the U.K. if you live in a high potential area, you cannot sell a home unless it’s been tested for radon and cleared. It’s been like that for 20 years.

Here in Canada where we are the second largest producers of Uranium, our government seem to think having the highest guideline for remediation is OK. Brings back memories of “Asbestos is OK: Health-Canada”

Why we have UFFI on the realty contract and not radon is beyond me.

Why we have UFFI on the realty contract and not radon is beyond me.

Last I heard it was now removed? Just asking?

“Asbestos is OK: Health-Canada”

Still in the latest editions as far as I know? Maybe it is Mike Holmes to whom you refer?

Good post, Len. Most REA in my area have little knowledge of Radon. Time to get the word out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZglUjLE0Y&feature=youtu.be

Myths of Radon Part 1 of 4

Published on Oct 13, 2015
The myth of residential radon is explained in four parts. Part 1 deals with the basics of “radiation” in laymen’s terms. The next Part, 2, is a crash-course in toxicology.
Part 3 will provide “state-of-knowledge” epidemiology. Part 4 is a wrap up of what’s really out there. I hope you enjoy Part One of my radon lecture.

Almost a good video, except he creates a misunderstanding of the concentration issue at around 16:30 on video 1.

While the piC/l is not a concentration of radon, it is the number of radioactive deteriorations (Radioactive Decay Products or RDP) per litre of air, over a period of time. This is why grab sampling is ineffective, you have to measure radon concentration over time.

The fact that you are measuring the RDP means you can extrapolate this to the amount of radon in the air, as radon has a known half-life (as does all radioactive material)

So while the speaker is “technically” correct for any given moment, the long-term measurement actually can give a “concentration” of radon.

The last 1 minute is highly telling also, confirming what Health-Canada, US EPA and WHO are telling us about radon. He plays with the statistical analysis of “risk”. It’s worth trying to understand where the phrase “The straw the broke the camels back” came from.

I’ll watch the next three videos later and comment. In the meantime you might want to read the extensive study by the University of Iowa.

http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/radon_occ.pdf

Health Canada changed the maximum exposure limit to the same limit as WHO, (200 Bq M3) it used to be higher as per the posted ad in the OP.

Alberta’s new building code will require rough ins for radon mitigation systems on new builds. Radon levels will be a bigger issue with new homes that are built tight according to new code requirements. Cracks in basement slab should be sealed, not only for water, but also because cracks may allow more radon into the house.

Health Canada did a nationwide survey for Radon levels found in homes. They found that 6.9% Canadian homes had above the the 200 Bq limit. Levels found are geographical, so check out the study to see how your region performs.

I like the last paragraph (What Realtors need to know) since it isn’t about making a buck at any cost! HA… Gotta protect their income source!

http://www.crea.ca/sites/default/files/Radon.pdf

Erik, 200 Bq/m3 is not the exposure limit, it’s the guideline concentration level at which Health-Canada suggest a home should be mitigated. Exposure is measured in millisieverts (mSv) and the dose is measured as mSv/yr. Their is no Health-Canada maximum limit for the public exposure, although in Canada, most OSHA policies state 1 mSv/yr as the acceptable limit for public (i.e. non-worker) exposure. Half that for a pregnant woman.

Nuclear workers are allowed a maximum of 50 mSv/yr. It is interesting to note that 24 hrs per day exposure to a radon level of 200 Bq/m3 is equivalent to 24 mSv/yr. Assuming only 8 hours exposure in a home to that level, that’s 3 times more than the maximum OSHA levels or the equivalent of 30 X-Rays or 4 CT scans in a year.

Regardless of the B.S. you will hear from the nay-sayers, that level of radiation poses a very real threat.

When you consider that’s the concentration level at which Health-Canada say mitigation should be carried out, and we have already found homes in Ontario, Canada with over 9 times that level, I really don’t care what certain individuals might say on this message board as to whether it’s scare mongering or not, if we can save just one life, that’s good in my books.

In Canada, between 2000 and 2009, 380 people died from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Rightly so, we now must have working CO detectors and regular mandatory CO inspections of combustion devices.

We have an estimated 3,000 people die in Canada every year from radon inhalation!

In my opinion it’s worth scaring a few people to ensure we all get our homes tested, and where necessary fixed.