Now, We Know....

…why ASHI leaders, in spite of the wishes of many of its members, have been pushing licensing bills.

Follow the money…

Licensing bills meeting the ASHI model all have something in common…they require the ASHI test at $125 to 200 a pop, and 120 to 180 hours of education at an ASHI school. Wanna bet that Kansas, who has already rejected the excellent courses provided by NACHI, will accept this school without blinking an eye?

Should we expect a CAHPI school to open soon in British Columbia?

I guess there must be a shortage of home inspectors again. :sarcasm:

Preying on the out of work more likely.

Exactly :twisted:

Hi Mike,

I had a couple folks call me within the last few weeks asking how business was, they said the unemployment office suggested they get into the Home Inspection Business, even though we have went from 1600 licensed inspectors a couple years ago to about 600 now. I guess the state has money available if they want to attend Inspection School here.

Yep, those are great figures to be sending unemployed assembly line workers out to Home Inspection School at the cost to tax payers to flip the bill.

Incredible…

Dale, I’ve had two calls in the last wo months, same thing. Unbelievable!

I’ve had several inquiries…

Me too.

It is amazing to me how some people try to educate others, when they have no education themselves. I wonder how many inspections they have atually performed so far this year. Being a member of countless lawyer asscoications does not make you a good lawyer. Being a member of dozens of agencies and many designations does not make you a good inspector. They must have been sued sometime, got out of doing inspections, and started “teaching”. Anything to make a buck. Society today is fake in many ways. Newbies will have to learn it on their own.

More than that…is the fact that the State of Kansas was lobbied to require classroom education for home inspectors to learn how to inspect, but the state itself does not have any minimum basic standards required of its builders or contractors. Without being able to teach the inspector what is “acceptable”, how can they really teach what is a "defect’? Has anyone brought this up during an open meeting where the special interest/conflicted interest laden HI Board has met?

Without a standard of what is uniformly “acceptable” throughout the state, how can the state implement an SOP?

Why teach things that have nothing to do with the Kansas SOP’s? Yes, Kansas will have their own. They should, then, write their own tests, and get the Kansas Board of Regents involved. The board of regents is in charge of ALL educational requirements in Kansas. If home inspectors take tests, then the home builders, roofers, engineers, all should also. Oh, I guess that will cause a lawsuit. That will just add money to the pockets of the attorney on the board in Kansas, and another reason why insurance is required.

James, the lawmakers, attorneys, and board members are just plain stupid. They only are concerned about themselves and their “buddies”; not the Kansas consumer.

Old home inspectors don’t die, they just become instructors.

Around here, there is one guy (ASHI and NAHI affiliated) who was also on the state HI board, who no longer inspects, but teaches. His courses are real sleepers (I have attended a couple, but never learned anything I didn’t already learn in my pre-licensing course (not ASHI, through a local community college. Much less expensive and more intensive.).

But, I have seen some of this guy’s inspections and reports, and they are real c*ap. He is, put simply, a bad inspector. Yet, he teaches.

Those who can’t, teach.
Those who can’t teach, teach Gym.
And those who can’t teach Gym, teach home inspectors.

Just my opinion.

Will, the characterization is unfair and innacurate.

Those who cant, teach. What a load of crap.

I am a damned good inspector, and I both write and teach classes. My courses and teaching style are regarded as very good. Some who are mediocre inspectors are excellent teachers, while some excellent inspectors couldnt teach if their lives depended on it. I consider myself to be excellent in both my inspection abilities as well as my command if the language, writing style, and delivery methods.

Teaching is more of an art, than a science. But to lump every inspector/instructor into a common category is bogus.

Joe, I stand humbly corrected. I am sorry that I did not qualify my post. I was referring, only, to this guy. There are many inspectors (myself included) who also teach CE courses.

I was referring, only, to this guy and the group he works with. There are some inspectors (ASHI affiliated) in this area who are outstanding teachers (Chuck Belefontaine, who used to ne ASHI National VP, who along with Corey Freeman, own the Bellman Group, which is a NACHI approved Pre-Licensing and CE education company).

But, and I think you would agree, there alre always bottom feeders.

This guy teaches and hold classes wher alcohol is served (liberaly) and where the test is a freakin’ joke. A lot of old timers attend, believing (so they tell me) that it is just so thay can get their required CE credits.

I believe that CE courses should be challanging and hard. I have had a number of CE classes that I have taught where a couple of people have not passed the exam. But I do not see that as my failing, as a teacher, but as their failing in not staying awake or in not being properly qualified.

In any case, please accept my apology. If you want, I will delete my previous post.

Hope this helps;

Apology accepted, Big Man.

No need to delete. I should have realized that something was missing from your post, as I recall that you, yourself, also teach.

Thanks again, Will

All included, inspectors, teachers, inspection associations and schools are all doing what we do to make money (a living). It is the true motivation for most. If someone is not making money inspecting and they can make money teaching or running an association, that is they path open to them.

In the long run, I think that making a decision to do something and sticking to it with perseverance and determination is more beneficial.

For many, these are very hard times and it is my perspective to respect peoples decisions to pursue what they think is best for them.

In time, everyone either succeeds or fails at what they choose to do. Those who succeed, stick with what works for them and grow. For those who fail, they move on to something else. And, from time to time, opportunities are presented that can not be passed up.

If you are a good inspector, then be an inspector. If you are a good teacher, then teach. If you are good at both, do both and so on. Do what works for you without judgement of others.

The rest is politics, power and control over others…

“As for me and my house…”

David Selman
Selman Home Inspections

“…we will serve the L-rd.”

That is my company motto. :smiley:

http://www.theocelot.co.uk/modules/news/images/storys/0909242043-lord_of_the_dance.jpg

Brian, that is offensive and sacrilegious to boot.:frowning:

What??? You believe what you want, just do it quietly. :stuck_out_tongue:

You want Frodo instead???