OAHI and Bill 59

With Bill 59 receiving royal assent just last week I would love to hear thoughts on how this may affect OAHI and the private members bill they operate under.

Do you mean, c Pr65 Ontario Association of Home Inspectors Act, 1994, Ontario? Please explain further.

I expect it will do the same for OAHI as it will with NACHI .
We will get an Ontario License / Insurance and keep out membership if we want to .
Both are great places to trade info and get questions answered.

Gene, Schedule 1 of the Bill said it all.

Section 80 states: The Ontario Association of Home Inspectors Act, 1994, chapter Pr65, is repealed. This means:

• the OAHI is no longer incorporated by Act of Assembly
  • The right to title for the Registered Home Inspector and R.H.I. has been revoked
  • Anyone in Ontario can now call themselves a Registered Home Inspector or R.H.I. without fear of a fine.

However…

CAHPI National own the trademark and copyright to the RHI, so using it may get someone into hot water with them.

Also, Section 77(1) of Schedule 1 of Bill 59 states: The Ontario Association of Home Inspectors constituted as a corporation without share capital by the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors Act, 1994, being chapter Pr65, as it read immediately before its repeal, is continued as a corporation to which Part III of the Corporations Act applies.

This means:

• The Ontario Association of Home Inspectors is continued as a regular Letters Patent, not-for-profit corporation.

The objects of the new Ontario Association of Home Inspectors will be:

• to maintain high professional standards among the members of the Association through education and discipline;
  • to provide formal training and educational facilities to the members of the Association;
  • to hold conferences and meetings for the discussion of home inspection standards and practices and for the presentation of papers and lectures;
  • to collect and disseminate papers, lectures and other information that is useful or interesting to the members of the Association;
  • to publicize the role of home inspectors in Ontario, and, in particular,
    to publicize the full range of services offered to consumers in Ontario by home inspectors;
  • to seek and maintain affiliations with, and to co-operate with, other organizations having objects, in whole or in part, the same as or similar to the objects of the Association

In addition, (Schedule 1 section 81(2) ) the Ontario Labour Mobility Act, 2009 is amended to remove references to The Ontario Association of Home Inspectors and replace it with the Home Inspection Act, 2017.

Thanks Len.