OAHI recommended CMHC publications for sale.

Thanks John just one more place that NACHI .ROCKS
With out a doubt Nachi does more for the Home Inspection Industry then any one else.

Roy Cooke sr… proud to be a NACHI member

Well then I suppose I will wait! Any idea when the course will be live? BTW Roy I completely agree with you.

Hi Craig,

Through Seneca College the cost of one modules is roughly $550 bucks which will get you the book, the video, and tech support. I suppose you can take which ever module you want. If you contact Norma Columbus at Seneca, Norma.Columbus@senecac.on.ca she can answer all your questions,… she’s pretty good.

Cheers,
CS

If it is anything like the electrical, you won’t learn much. The electrical course was not that in depth. I scanned the material for the electrical and wrote the test in an hour and passed with 94% or something. Not challenging enough. This is a prime reason NACHI is criticized,… on-line tests that are too easy!

But, don’t get me wrong I am a much happier member here and once the plumbing course is ready I’ll take an hour out of my day to read it over and take the test. :smiley:

Any test is easy if you know the answers.
The purpose of the test is to prove that you have the knowledge. As long as the tests encompasses all the knowledge that one needs to know to perform a competent inspection then that’s good enough for me.
If other inspection associations want to bad mouth us, they are cutting there own throat. When you bad mouth (BM) someone else the listener is left thinking that the BMer is like the guy they BMed.
Hope this makes sense.
So with that in mind CAPHI is great but NACHI is better.

Stay Positive baby, positive!

Sorry Vern Been with OAHI and CAHPI know them and their working .
I was always taught to tell the truth.
NACHI is good and CAHPI VERY,VERY FAR from GREAT.
Roy Cooke sr.

The test is easy because the questions are easy. I’m personally not happy with a base-line knowledge after all in this business what you earn depends on what you learn.

I believe it is what you know that counts. :raised:

Not necessarily true, it depends how the law is written. Its my belief smoke detector installation is now mandatory, previously it was not mandatory. Now the law reads that every home must have smoke alarms on all levels and outside of the bedrooms regardless of age, so it is retroactive that all home regardless of age are protected.

I hope he is wearing his pocket protector when he is teaching!

Why do you think CD doesn’t say anything about OAHI, and Allan Carson was so involved with CAHPI? That has been the case for many, many years at CD!

**NO you should not join OAHI! Haven’t you been reading about the mistreatment of the members at OAHI, the extortion of money via false fines, and breaches of the by-law?

If you want to get screwed, there is a place for you in OAHI-CAHPI. Just send money and wait and see what you will get! :slight_smile:

Thats the PROBLEM! If the other association is corrupt and breaking the by-laws then they deserve to be exposed! Unfortunately its so easy to say nothing. Would you keep quiet about a bank that screws you around and screws up your statements? I don’t think so, and I don’t believe anyone or any business that is delivering bad service or misleading its membership should be ignored. Only timid people keep quiet.

I took all the coures required by OAHI through Seneca,Hummber and Fanshawe in general the coures were good the instuctors; well thats where the problem lies the one instructor at Seneca would take up to a week to answer an email and others were slow also.The plumbing coures at Hummber was a joke $550 for a 16 week coures and I finished it in 10 hrs online it was pretty much a repeat of the building part 9.This coures should be removed or reworked and the cost of the coures and the books way to much money.

As to CD report and teaching…

Firstly I have been around since 1991 in OAHI, likely longer then most Canadian member here on this forum. When I started I took the CD course because at the time it was the only course around. It lasted two weeks. I thought at the time it was greats. Some of the material could have been better.

CD reports exceed the SOP. My inspections exceed the SOP because I use the CD reports. I think everyone should try and exceed the SOP because this like any business evolves, and so does knowledga and inspection methods. I actually think it reduces liability.

Unfortunately CD, ISS, and others have found their niches in Colleges and it could be termed to be indoctrination. There is a purpose and a reason for that. Its called marketing and get the student hooked. You have to look no further then how these inspection companies have ingrained themselves into the colleges. They use their materials and they sell their materials. What better way to sell your product, a captive audience.

As to misleading and false advertising this business is full of it particularly the course providers! Its a shame!

As to CD using only engineers that use to be true, now they have one company called Boulevard Inspections, which is not an engineering company and the owner is not an engineer.

CD makes an excellent product, it has been around and has evolved and changes. It is not a cheap product, and good products that are reliable and have the research costs more. If you want the best you have to pay for it.

Why do you all think CD put $10-15K into CAHPI a number of years ago? Look no further folks as to who sits were on the executive. Have your cake and eat it too?

Last time I took a course at Humber the instructor was definetly teaching to Heating and Cooling codes. But the teacher is the Heating/Cooling inspector for the city of Toronto. I thought it was too much info for what our job entails. Makes you wonder whether the Home Inspection courses are interested in teaching and instilling info or more interested in indoctrinating students to use their report systems.

I still think Colleges should be the ony course providers and should not be selling reporting systems based on the teachers affiliatons. Puppy inspector mills are the real plague on our profession and long term stability. Licencing is overdue in Ontario.

[FONT=Arial]*

*As far as I know CMHC does not endorse any home inspection association, and the CMHC publications are free, you can order them online at the CMHC site.
[/FONT]

CD course material makes reference to OAHI only a few times… however they do make plenty of references to ASHI.

Chris

OAHI-CAHPI standards are in fact ASHI SOP and COE. There are no made in Canada SOP/COE. I think CD soured on OAHI a long time ago and put their eggs in the CAHPI basket. Now it appears CAHPI has become another OAHI. Its not what and who you are its based on what you have to sell to the home inspection masses.

Lets see we have had people from CD at the helm of CAHPI, we have had ISS in the mix, we have had P2P in the mix and now we have Dakota Home Inspection franchise in CAHPI managment as well as the old guard in the committees and National Cert. Committee make up.

Do not ask what your Association can do for you but ask what the Associations can do for your wares, your franchise and your other products. If you have something to sell there is a place for you. :wink:

Christopher
Most code on the books has nothing to do with safety. Most code is written when enough builders and contractors want a change that is going to save them money, either in time or material. The building code is and absolute minimum requirement for the construction of a building. Code used to say ,when building a wall, the builder had to put in blocking every four feet, for two reasons, 1, to stiffen the wall and 2, to act as fire stops. What happened to that requirement. The code used to say roof decking had to be a minimum of 1/2" now we are down to 3/8". I have walked many a 3/8" roof deck and I can tell you, it would not take much to go through it if I wanted to. I am so fed up with builders putting out substandard housing and claiming “it passes code”. I can show you pictures of code violations that would really surprise you that passed inspection. Code by and large is a good thing but I got out of the trades when building became a " hurry up and get it done" thing and to hell with the poor homeowner. Don’t talk to me about code.
Larry