# of Inspections per day

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

On another topic post on Friday, Rusty said: “I’ve done 14 inspections so far this week, I have 3 to do tomorrow (Sat.)”

That sparked a question in my head of how many others do "three a day" inspections or "two a day" or even "one a day".

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rwills

One a day! have done two on occasion but between travel time and report compilation it makes for a long day. It also depends on the ability to schedule them fairly close together and how far apart they are (geographically). On the other hand, I have been getting swamped with radon testing and will do one or two a day along with one inspection!..Bob

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Bob, I’m with you on one a day. Because the first one could take longer than normal, then get stuck in traffic, and who knows what else.

I do two a day sometimes but I will be wore out. The second has to know I want leave the first intil the buyers understands the house.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

I hope Rusty is taking Sunday off after doing 17 inspections for the week! And if he is doing that volume in Feb., how many will he do in the spring? I have done that many in a week on occasion and it is exhausting. I am an employee of an inspection firm, so I can do up to 3 per day and someone else compiles the report. I average 600-650 per year,but never on Sunday.

O.K. so here's another question. Who does inspections on Sunday?

Erby, you didn't answer your own question. How many do you do per day.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Dang, you’re right, I didn’t.

Usually one, sometimes two if I can get them close together.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Joe Wright

Come on guys … we need more HI’s to do this poll, especially established ones. I have been wondering about this question since deciding to get into the business and it would be useful info.

Thanks,
Joe Wright

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Just wondering if it should be per week or per month to get better response.

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Official HI since 1995. One man office. Semi Retired? (56) After construction career!

Generally schedule one inspection per day at 9:00AM, back in office by noon or early afternoon. Compile report from field notes and have ready for delivery before 9:00AM next day for 24 Hr. turn-around. Balance of time spent doing misc. office work, browsing internet, grand kids, church work, small jobs for old const. clients, never a shortage of things to do! Have always derived great satisfaction through the construction industry by building and helping people realize their goals of owning a home!

My Ace-in-the-Hole, a super wife with a great job!
Pretending I'm retired and enjoying life! icon_biggrin.gif

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: rwills

Joe Wright Quote:“Come on guys … we need more HI’s to do this poll.”

The three-a-day guys at 22% are to busy to take the poll, and the four-a-day guys at 0% are never home! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

edited

Originally Posted By: csewell

I haven’t even started yet, but the most prolific and experienced inspector in our large county shared the fact that he did over 500 last year and he didn’t work week-ends. Now, that means an average of 2/day and considering sick days, bad weather days, etc. he had to do three on some days. He used a laptop and printed reports on site. I saw a couple of his reports and they were fair, but too much standard language filler material – I doubted his thoroughness.

Charles

--
Charles Sewell

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

I will do no more than 1 a day and do not work weekends, holidays etc. I don’t feel that a person can do a thorough inspection when you add in driving time, administrative time, lunch. Unless you’re working 18 hours a day. JMO

Bob

Originally Posted By: dsunday

My original intention was to do Maximum of 5 per week. I think with paperwork, marketing, networking with realtors and others “in the business” this is a realistic goal. I too am “retired” and have plenty to do around my own house with kids, maintenance, etc. I find that inspections are running 3+ hours, and paperwork roughly 2 hours (includes inital contact, mailings, contracts, and report delivery).

Originally Posted By: rray

I am what is called a “controlled workaholic” at this point in my business career. That means that I work, work, work, but that I do take time off to play, play, play every once in a while.

I have two full-time inspectors and three part-time inspectors (full-time during the summer when we have 18 hours of daylight). So I'll talk about me as an individual full-time inspector.

My company in its first calendar year did 393 inspections, a little over one per day. My second-year goal is 800 inspections, a little under three per day. I and my inspectors work Saturdays, Sundays, evenings, and holidays, which might be why we did 393 inspections in our first year. Face it, this is real estate. Realtors and home buyers do not work 9-5; neither does my company. I don't push my employees as hard as I push myself, so I'll talk about me. I enjoy work, especially people work, and more specifically this industry.

I did three inspections on Christmas day last year, two on New Year's day, and three on Super Bowl Sunday. There are always people who are not interested in Christmas, Flag Day, Fourth of July, etc. I serve all Clients at all times. You want an inspection when? Meet me there!

I can easily do six inspections per day during the height of the summer if they are condominiums. Four SFR inspections is realistically the limit. Here's my typical work day:

Midnight to 2:00 a.m. - Work on something. You'll find a lot of my posts here and at inspectionnews.com will be early hours of the morning.
2:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. - Nap
4:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. - Work on something. See Midnight to 2:00 a.m.
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. - Nap
7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. - Prepare for the day's inspections.
8:30 a.m. - ??? - Inspections, work, and 15-30 minute naps as allowed.
10:00 p.m. - Midnight - Nap

I recently did an inspection at 5:30 in the morning. Realtor and Client (and Client's family, I might add) met me out there. He was a Client from hell. Realtor informed me prior to the inspection that he was a Client from hell. He followed me around like a little three-month old puppy. Never seen anything like it in my life. During the eight-hour inspection (4800 SF and neglect, deferred maintenance, and flat-out destruction), I was able to determine what his push buttons were and I left them alone. I was also able to determine what his control knobs controlled, and I adjusted those to the setting where I needed them to be. By the end of the inspection, he was eating out of my hand. Then a couple of days later he e-mailed me with the best praised I have ever received. Unfortunately, he had the gall to sign his email "As always, Your Friend, Dale." Huh! I did my job and now "as always," he's my friend? Don't think so. And I wouldn't want him as a friend, quite frankly.

The nice thing about this industry is that I'm self employed. That means when I want to play, play, play, I can simply tell callers that "I'm all booked up that day." As I continue to reach my personal and corporate goals, I can do more "I'm booked up that day"s. Sometimes that statement will be legitimate, sometimes not. In all cases, though, think of the message that I am conveying when I state that "I'm booked up that day." Gosh, the Realtor thinks, he must be good. I better book the next available inspection with him. It works.

I try to keep enough people employed so that I can provide 24-hour lead times and provide 24-hour turnaround on their reports. I do as much of the work myself as I can; as I said, I like to work. I'm hyper (except after two Grande Raspberry Swirl margaritas at On The Border; then I'm sleepy). It's Friday evening. Maybe I'll go get sleepy. I only have two big inspections tomorrow.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.