Ohio bill going for vote

Info from current bill available as of Dec 10 2008, more admendments to be proposed on Dec 16 when bill is up for vote by committee and will go to entire senate for vote if passed out of committee. These admendments may not be seen before last meeting of committee but only at the time of voting. As far as current grandfathering provisions- pass national exam to be determined by board before effective date - note the board is not chosen until after effective date and it may not allow all exams to qualify. I tesified that all exams from national organizations be allowed- this was not met favorably and lobbyist later explained to me that NAHI-ASHI wants other exam. Since over nineteen states have made NHIE exam a exclusive requirement, that seems likely. The other grandfathering provisions are “or” three years in business “or” 200 inspections, one of the most restrictive GF provisions of all previous states that have allowed GF provisions. As a new member with less than two years I plan on taking NHIE before effective date (at least 90 days out) so I am grandfathered.

Most of details of the bill is left to board whose membership is determined by Bill which I will post from BILL SUMMARY. This is a concern if we are not given a place on the board.

Ohio Home Inspector Board
The bill creates the Ohio Home Inspector Board consisting of five members. Not more than three member of the Board can be members of the same political party. The President of the Senate and Speaker of House … each must appoint one member who represents the public and has no financial interest in the home inspection industry. The bill requires the Governor to appoint three members who are licensed home inspectors and who each represent different national organizations that consist of and represent home inspectors. Of the members appointed by the Governor, one must be an independent home inspector and one must be a member or representative of a home inspection franchise business.

MY TAKE ONLY - IS THERE A PLACE FOR NACHI AT THE BOARD. The board establishes all the rules in the future.

The Joint Committee (NAHI-ASHI) testified before the senate that all National Organizations are in favor of this Bill. The Real Estate Lobbyist said that the real estate industry was in favor. The Joint Committee gave the impression that it was revenue neutral. There were only a few opponents.

I can see little to stop this BILL unless you notify your representatives immediately. See Jim Toth’s email to Ohio NACHI members for phone numbers.

Wednesday 12/17/2008 @ 3:30pm
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/senate_committee_schedule.cfm

Bob pls check your information again it says Dec 16 at 9AM by Weds it’s gone.
Jim Ogle

Tuesday, December 16

** Insurance, Commerce and Labor**, 9:00 AM, Finance Hearing Room
Chair: Stivers
Sub HB 79 Batchelder, 3rd Hearing, Proponent/Opponent/Interested Party*
Workers’ Compensation – investment limitations
Am Sub HB 257 Schneider, 4th Hearing, Proponent/Opponent/Interested Party*
Home inspectors – certification/regulation
SB 99 Gardner, 5th Hearing, Proponent/Opponent/Interested Party
Health insurance – cover diabetes

Now maybe I’m reading this wrong, but according to this document the program for licensing would cost more than they expect to bring in. Why would they even consider passing this in our current economy? :wha?:

I agree with yr comments but the testimony in the meetings indicated that it would not be expensive to the state, and the committee has one member, who has some watch dog obligation to budget, did not ask questions on this issue. It’s hard to believe with 7 billion deficit prob in Ohio it would pass, however, the testimony of the joint committee (NAHI-ASHI) said that they had reviewed costs with dept of commerce and fees covered it, if the state doesn’t lose a lot of inspectors, although the fees could be increased. Since the new board works for free, they may have structured it so that it looks revenue neutral - the enforcement end may be part of enforcement for realtors. But if prohibited cost logic does not hold them or the Governor back, we may have a bill. Rhode Island currently has a bill that passed but is unfunded.

Jim,
Sorry you are right. I see the revised the day. Maybe the posted it wrong this morning. This is from their website a couple of minutes ago.

1st Revision
SENATE
COMMITTEE SCHEDULE
For the week of December 15, 2008

Monday, December 15

** Controlling Board**, 1:30 PM, North Hearing Room

Tuesday, December 16

** Insurance, Commerce and Labor**, 9:00 AM, Finance Hearing Room
Chair: Stivers
Sub HB 79 Batchelder, 3rd Hearing, Proponent/Opponent/Interested Party*
Workers’ Compensation – investment limitations
Am Sub HB 257 Schneider, 4th Hearing, Proponent/Opponent/Interested Party*
Home inspectors – certification/regulation
SB 99 Gardner, 5th Hearing, Proponent/Opponent/Interested Party
Health insurance – cover diabetes

Insurance, Commerce and Labor Committee Members In order of importance on this concern

1. Chair Steve Stivers Telephone: 614/466-5981 REPUBLICAN
  2. Robert Schuler 614/466-9737
  3. Dale Miller 614/466-5123
  4. Vice Chair Keith Faber Telephone: 614/466-7584 REPUBLICAN
  5. Ron Amstutz 614/466-7505 REPUBLICAN
  6. Steve Austria 614/466-3780
  7. Gary Cates 614/466-8072
  8. Tim Schaffer 614/466-5838
  9. Ranking Minority Member Eric H. Kearney 614/466-5980
  10. John Boccieri 614/466-8285

Call your senator seel Link to find your senator

http://www.senate.state.oh.us/

Ohio Home Inspector Licensing Action Center

Updates

December 16, 2008

HB257
Today’s hearing and possible vote for HB 257 is postponed until Wednesday December 17, 2008 at 3:30 p.m.

If you are against the Bill - keep calling- there is conversation that the Bill may not pass the committee as there is some concern about it’s fairness. There has been previous testimony by the Joint Committee (NAHI-ASHI) that all organizations support this bill. You may end up with their standards, exam and high license fees. Grandfathering is one of the toughest in country; see previous comments. If nothing else leave a message that you are against. You have one more day to be heard. Call a member of the committee even if he is not your Senator.

Insurance, Commerce and Labor Committee Members In order of importance on this concern

1. Chair Steve Stivers Telephone: 614/466-5981 REPUBLICAN
  2. Robert Schuler 614/466-9737
  3. Dale Miller 614/466-5123
  4. Vice Chair Keith Faber Telephone: 614/466-7584 REPUBLICAN
  5. Ron Amstutz 614/466-7505 REPUBLICAN
  6. Steve Austria 614/466-3780
  7. Gary Cates 614/466-8072
  8. Tim Schaffer 614/466-5838
  9. Ranking Minority Member Eric H. Kearney 614/466-5980
  10. John Boccieri 614/466-8285

Call your senator seel Link to find your senator

http://www.senate.state.oh.us/

OHIO SENATE COMMITTEE VOTE TODAY 3:30PM 12 17 2008 +++LAST CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE ++++ PLS CALL IF YOU CAN’T GET HOLD OF A SENATOR LEAVE MESSAGE WITH AIDE OR SECRETARY. THEY NEED TO KNOW YOU ARE IS OPPOSED. IN THE HEARINGS, THE JOINT COMMITTEE (NAHI-ASHI) STATED THAT ALL NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS WERE IN FAVOR OF THIS BILL. UNLESS YOU HAVE THREE YEARS WORK EXPERIENCE THAT YOU CAN PROVE, “OR” 200 INSPECTIONS “OR” HAVE TAKEN NHEI EXAM YOU ARE NOT GRANDFATHERED; UNLESS THE FUTURE BOARD PICKS OUT ALL NATIONAL EXAM, I.E.,INTERNACHI, HIF,ETC. WHICH IS UNLIKELY AS I HAVE ASKED ALREADY. AN AMENDMENT MAKES THE LICENSE FEE $500 YEAR.

It’s also my opinion that the Bill could be used by Realtors to harass tough inspectors that they feel killed the deal. The board may not have sufficient representation of all the national home Inspector organizations- note previous info posted on this thread- to ignore unjustified complaints. For example, any person, e.g. a competing home inspector, realtor, seller etc. can lodge a complaint, not just the buyer, to launch an investigation which can result in you going to Columbus for a hearing. Failure to comply you can lose license be fined or confined.

THIS BILL HAS THE BACKING OF THE REAL ESTATE COMMUNITY, NAHI AND ASHI, AND LARGE OHIO BASED EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS BECAUSE IT FAVORS THEIR INTERESTS. THIS IS NOT A FAIR BILL FOR THE AVERAGE SMALL INSPECTOR BUSINESS AND NO PROTECTION WITHOUT AMENDMENTS FOR THE CONSUMER (BUYER) ++ CALL BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE+++++.

James,
Please foward, copy, or email your last post to Nick, the NACHI staff, and NACHI legal dept. to see if they are aware of this or if they can help their members with this. This bill is certainly going to hurt us little guys.
Thanks
Robert

Bob - I have been working with Jim Troth Chapter president (?) or vice president out of the Columbus chapter. I believe Jeff Judy (who -was or is -another chapter President of Ohio Chapter) is also involved (what I was told by Joint Committee (NAHI-ASHI) at Dec 10th committee meeting. I defer to our local chapter leaders for guidence and communication to the necessary individuals at the national level, they are far better connected. I don’t know if the national can get involved at this stage? In any case, this is the last day to affect vote by committee and it is probably to late for our national to react. +++please call and oppose bill ++++++++ individuals count+++++++++ I don’t believe the committee wants to shut down the little guys but needs to know that there is opposition to Bill otherwise they have been told that there is no opposition by national organizations (thru the Joint Committee NACHI-ASHI testimony of 12 10 2008). Unless the little guys speak out, there is no reason not to vote yes.

Ok
Phone calls going out.

**We have heard from an aide that **HB 257 was not voted out of committee and therefore is effectively dead for this General Assembly. The Bill can be resubmitted in the next session of the General Assembly, I believe it has to start again in the House.

Thanks to all that called to express their opinion.

James,
I want to thank you for your work on getting the information out concerning the bill. Jim, and I have been doing what we can to get emails out to all of our members and asked for action on this bill. I am like you in your thinking about getting Inachi higher ups to get involed with this in the planning stage instead of after the fact. Thanks again and maybe we could meet some time at our chapter meeting.

Merry Christmas to all(of us) and to all (that supported the bill) goodnight!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Congrats Ohio inspectors! :slight_smile:

That is great news! Congrats, Ohio guys!

And a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to all of those who helped and to those who worked so hard to defeat this unfair, one-sided bill.