Ohio Update-All board members appointed

This is the latest:
\ 5x1

Home Inspector Program

The Ohio Home Inspector Board is now fully appointed with all seven members. At this time, administrative rules for the Home Inspector Program are being reviewed by the Common Sense Initiative Office (CSI). Because the rules have not yet received final approval, the Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing is not enforcing the original November 1 deadline requiring a license to do home inspections. The current deadline is April 5, 2020.* The Division has issued over 700 licenses so far through the grandfather application.

Q: Where can I find the grandfather license application?

A: It is on the Division’s website, here: https://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/real_HIGFLicenseApplication.pdf

Q: When does the grandfathering period end?

A: Grandfather license applications will be accepted by the Division as long as the applications are received by the Division by 5 p.m. EST on Jan. 10, 2020.

Q: Do I need to register my business with the Ohio Secretary of State?

A: According to the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, “any business entity, domestic or foreign, planning to transact business within Ohio, using a name other than their own personal name, must register with this office. Business entities must file the appropriate formation documents to register their business. Sole proprietorships and general partnerships are not required to register the business entity; however, they may need to register a trade name or report the use of a fictitious name if they are doing business in a name not their own. (For example, if you are doing business under your personal name, i.e. Bob Smith, then you do not need to register with our office, but if you are doing business under the name “Bob Smith’s Automotive Shop,” then the name must be registered with the Ohio Secretary of State).” For more information on this matter, please click on the following link: https://www.sos.state.oh.us/businesses/information-on-starting-and-maintaining-a-business/frequently-asked-questions/.

Q: One of the eight requirements states passing a home inspector examination. Which examination is acceptable?

A: The National Home Inspector Examination (NHIE). More information can be found here: https://nationalhomeinspectorexam.org/

Q: What type of insurance am I required to carry?

A: Applicants are required to have commercial general insurance with minimum policy limits of $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 in total aggregate. A copy of your certificate of insurance from your insurer must be provided with your application. Please consult with your insurer to ensure you have the proper insurance coverage.

Q: I have satisfied three out of eight requirements on the grandfather application. Do I need to send you proof of completion for those three requirements?

A: No, you do not need to send proof with your application that you completed the three requirements. However, you should maintain in your possession your proof of completion of the requirements in case you are selected for audit by the Division.

Q: When should I get my fingerprints completed for my criminal background checks?

A: If you mail your application to the Division, it is recommended you wait a couple days from the day you place the application in the mail to start the background check process. The Division has provided a two-page instruction sheet with the application regarding criminal history checks; we suggest taking these instructions with you to the Webcheck location. If you drop off your completed application with the Division, you can start the background check process immediately. You should not start or complete the background check process prior to submitting your application to the Division. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in the applicant being required to resubmit prints.

Q: Where should I go to get my fingerprints completed for the criminal history check?

A: A list of approved providers can be found at the following link: https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Business/Services-for-Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing

Q: What do I do if I answer “yes” to one of the legal and ethical questions in the application?

A: On a separate sheet of paper, you must provide a brief explanation or the reasons why you answered “yes” to one of the questions. There should be sufficient information in your explanation so that the Division can research the matter.

Q: How long does it take for the Division to process my application?

A: The Division has been receiving, on average, criminal history check results approximately 30 days after the applicant has submitted their fingerprints. Once the Division receives your background check results, it generally takes five business days to complete the application process, provided the applicant has submitted a complete application and no prior convictions or any other matters affecting the application are present.

Q: I’ve reviewed the grandfather license application and I don’t believe I qualify for it, but I want to be a home inspector. When do I need to be licensed and what should I do?

A: Home inspectors conducting home inspections for compensation must be licensed starting April 5, 2020*. An initial license application will need to be completed in this case. This application is not currently available as some of the requirements are pending the completion of rules process. Once the rules are effective, the Division will publish the initial license application. Please review Ohio Revised Code Section 4764.07 for general initial license requirements http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4764.07v1.

*This may change based on the date administrative rules are finalized.

\ 5x1

\ 5x1

Know additional people who would like to receive this email?

2 Likes

thanks for the update Joseph…

Well Jim and Joe, Mr. Parks should be chiming in soon. LOL

2 Likes

…UGH… :nauseated_face:

Who me?

They have been appointed and two were appointed out of the time required by law and had no say in the SOP. They were supposed to be the two members that protected the public!

The last appointment was made late so they could say that 120 days after the last appointment was the end of grandfathering.

I could give a Chit if they gave everyone a license. The whole thing is screwed up and a fraud. That’s all that I am saying.

No skin off of my nose.

Looks like a blueprint that could be used for NM, legislated inspection licensing, but will not meet Jan 1 deadline.