Oil tank Air admittance valve or what?

I found an air admittance valve i don,t know what is this for ? because i was thinking its an oil tank AIR ADMITANCE VALVE BUT I COULD NOT FIND FILL PIPE FOR OIL TANK near to it. That was at the front door walkway of the house. anybody can help thanks

You can say something like that and refer it out to be further inspected to verify whether it is an underground fuel oil tank to be removed or not because the removal cost can be expensive.

3 Likes

Also, welcome to our forum Kashif!..Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you Larry God bless you.

1 Like

Here is some helpful information.
https://inspectapedia.com/oiltanks/Oil_Tank_Fill_Vent_Pipes.php

2 Likes

@kmuhammad - In Seattle there are a good amount of oil tanks still in use, and I come across them frequently. In my eyes, that looks more like the filler cap for the oil tank. Not sure if you tried to unbolt the tension bolt on the side to undo it or not. Usually the oil tank filler is at ground level and the breather will be higher by a few feet against the house.
Was there still an active oil fired furnace being used or a boiler?
If not, I would simply recommend the seller provides proper documentation of a permitted abandonment or slurry backfill. As @lkage Stated, this can be extremely costly if there is a leak found if it has not been addressed and no longer being used. If no leaks are found, a backfill and left in the ground abandonment is usually in the ballpark of $2K for the job to be done correctly and permitted.

2 Likes

Thanks Jordan its really make sense i just saw but never try to open it must be filler pipe. its really helpful.

In a past life, I helped remediate such tanks. They’re typically single wall, and 100% will rust and leak over time. The leaks won’t be noticed right away. So called “empty tanks” can enough residual diesel to create a problem, unless the tank was abandoned properly.

+1 on @jballard6 post regarding permitted abandonment documentation.

3 Likes