OKLAHOMA STATE EXAM

Originally Posted By: Spencer D Huggins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I need to study for the State Exam. I can score in the 90’s on the NACHI exam, but not sure of what to study, the failure rate of the State Exam 81% as of today in Oklahoma. ( ANY POINTERS ) icon_question.gif [/list]

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Hayden, I don’t know and couldn’t find out quickly which exam the state of Oklahoma uses, in my own state we have a requirement for the NHIE (or ashi exam) from mine and others experience with this one, on top of regular home inspection topics you also need a resonable knowledge of building & electrical codes.

If you wish post more about the exam that you have to take and the studies that you have done and I will be happy to advise, or point you in the direction of some one who can help you.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

The NHIE is the exam, Oklahoma has just started the licensing in July. I know code for the State of Oklahoma and have a Mechanical License. Thanks for your help.....

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Hayden:

Where did you get the info about their failure rate of 81%?

Nic

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Remember, the NHIE is meant to test BASIC knowledge not an advanced level. Don’t overstudy the advanced stuff. Some of it is REAL basic like wire sizes versus ampacity, pipe sizes for what, etc.

On my old laptop, I have the study notes I used to pass the NHIE on the first try.

When I can get them off there, (soon), I am willing to share those notes with others.

Nick,

He's probably talking about the State of Oklahoma pass/fail rate, not the overall NHIE rate. I used to have some statistics on the NHIE nationally and IF I remember correctly it was about 50/50 on the first attempt.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Hi Hayden, the following may or may not be of use to you I tend to score in the mid 90’s on average on our own on line test, and for comparison scored a pass scaled score of 560 ish on NHIE, I agree with Erby NHIE is designed to be general test and personally I did not find it to be as difficult as I had been warned that it was. I think that if you were to read our standards of practice and study those systems that are mentioned you would with your previous experience have a good chance of passing it.

As my learned collegue Russel says "your milage may vary" ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

THANKS GERRY AND ERBY,

THE NUMBERS I'M HEARING IN OKLAHOMA ARE 450-470, WITH A PASSING GRADE BEING 500. I'LL WILL TAKE ANYTHING YOU CAN OFFER, BOOKS,STUDY AIDS OR ADVICE. I HAVE DONE HOME INSPECTION FOR YEARS FOR FRIENDS AND PEOPLE I WORK WITH, BUT NEVER FOR A FEE. ( I KNOW SOME TEST ARE SET-UP TO TRIP YOU UP ) GUYS I REALLY THANK YOU FOR THE HELP... OH. THE 81% CAME FROM THE GUY AT THE TESTING CENTER (SO I HEAR)

Well, I’d send you the notes but no e-mail address to send it to.

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Erby,

So sorry, My e-mail is Shuggins@fife.com
( Your web site is outstanding ) Thanks for your help ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Sent!

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Hi Hayden

if this helps here is my personal top 5 Resourses for passing NHIE.

1) this message board
2) inspecting a house, Cauldwell, isbn1-56158-462-2. (home depot)
3) Residential & light construction standards isbn 0-87629-658-4
4)International residential code (1&2 family) isbn 1-892395-17-7
5) this message board again (OK so I'm bias)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Erby and Gerry,

I got the info and thanks for going out of your way.

Originally Posted By: mbailey

To purchase books try walmart.com then go to the Textbook link? surprisingly low cost w/ low shipping also. For most of the books I have purchased recently they have been lower priced than others including Amazon. BTW these are new editions and there are more than textbooks available

Example - - Residential & light construction standards isbn 0-87629-658-4 ?.List 59.95 ?walmart 39.03?.35% savings

Hayden - good luck with your studies and the test!

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: ltrower

I had sent Gerry an e-mail about this very same thing. The State of Oklahoma was to have a test made but, could not find anyone to make one for them so, the board decided to use the ASHI national test. They are trying to say that the passing rate so far is over 52%. If you consider that that includes all those inspectors that had not been in business prior to November 1st 2002 that had to take the test plus the people that have just finished taking the first class offered they might come close. Before the law came into effect there were 300 Inspectors in Oklahoma. As of this Wednesday that number was not 173. Only 2 out of my class have passed the test so far. In Oklahoma City at the school there they had a mass group go to the last home inspection board meeting. They went to protest the way the state has handled this.

ltrower

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

A 20% success rate on a major proctored exam is normal is far as I’m concerned. I’ve experienced it first hand on at least three occasions. All that it means is that you have to take the material seriously.

To me, this means going over reference material for two to three months, then cramming for a week.

John

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Lee:

Thank you. I'm glad to here that Oklahoma is trying to say their passing rate is "way over 52%"

This means they think it should be.

I think that is too easy. We'll keep ours where it is... around.... yes....52%.

Nick

Lee,

Do you know want happened on that meeting in Okc. Thanks