Old Outlet

The reference to today’s standards or code or whatever you want to call it.

Recommending an outlet to be upgraded because it is now considered to be obsolete is one thing.
Recommending having the wall torn up, to elevate the outlet 12 inches above the floor (hoping the conductor will have enough slack in it) when the NEC is silent on a minimum mounting height, is another thing.

The reason why we keep asking you to post references is because we all know you come up with stuff you cannot support.

Please post the article that goes with the Rules 26-700 and from what “rule” book/guide/code is this taken from?

When you post recommendations from “your own standards”, not today’s standards, as a Master Inspector, you are not only misleading the newer inspectors and public, but you are also giving a bad rep to the Home Inspector’s community and more so to the Master Inspector’s community.

Do you owe me anything? No
Do you owe the public something? Absolutely yes, you owe them the correct information

I can understand that Canada has different sets of rules, but man, you’ve been rebuked and corrected by other Canadians and you still don’t admit when you’re wrong. That is also getting way old.

If it were only home inspectors correcting you (particularly on electrical issues) it’d almost be one thing, but man, you have electricians here, disproving what you are saying!
Don’t you think it might be time get your head out of the sand?

Thanks Will I find it is easier to just ignore Kevin .
Many times he is not worth the effort…
Some times he does make a good post !!!

Read my comment again as to what I would say to my Client. I did not in anyway shape or form say that they would have to do this or follow any rule. I did not say they need to rip out the wall either, that is an extreme exaggeration on your part. Are you taking lessons from someone else?
Stop acting like you think you should tell me I owe an apology to Home Inspectors as if you think I care. I did not say anyone has to follow me but you do I guess think I should somehow look up to you.

Kevin, I believe the issue is that there is so little basis from a code perspective or any proof provided for many of your claims. There are also times when you suggest a fix like above where you suggested GFI protection that would do nothing to prevent a spark hitting the carpet.

True enough and this is not what I would recommend. I would recommend it be moved up and changed at the time of doing electrical work. I would not say it has to be moved up and I would give them a reference point as to what is the normal standard today. I also do not recommend AFCI in older homes as it is not the norm here. When it does become the norm than I will start putting that in my report.
Like I said the ripping out of walls is a clear exaggeration. Where they are normally found is about 12 inches up the wall. Again not a bloody rule but a reference taken from 26-700.

Do you read what you write down?
How do you think a home buyer/seller would take your comment if you told them you’d have the outlets installed 12" off the floor? How would you make this happen without tearing out the wall???
I’m in no way asking for an apology from you.
What I am asking is for you to act like a professional adult and give out proper information because any time you write misinformation on the public forum, this gives my profession a bad reputation.
You are one of the guys who cannot stand the big “home inspector” TV celebrity because he says erroneous technical things and/or misleads the general populations as to what a home inspector should do.
Well, this is the same thing with you (or anybody else for that matter). Anytime you post erroneous information, even more so as a supposed Master Inspector, you are being just as harmful to this industry as the “big famous TV home inspector”.

:shock::roll::shock::roll::shock::roll:

Yes and that would not change! So roll your eyes and put all the smiley’s you want William. If you think you can change me you are sadly mistaken.

Where did you read this? There is no desire on my part to change anybody.
Making stuff up in your head must not just be for your erroneous reporting… :frowning:

**OMG! **

Are you saying that Kevin is violating the very CMI COE that he accuses Mr. Pope of violating? How can that be? :shock:

Just more of the same from Kevin Wood

You bet! I don’t conform to anyone and my Clients are fully aware of that. Only one dissatisfied customer who wanted to sell a home to unsuspected buyer’s with mold in the Attic. Turns out he was a Electrician who also was OK with Electrical receptacles over top of the Electrical heating radiator’s and no protection plates with wires to close to inside framing, along with a host of other problems in the home.
I guess I just could not convince myself to give him a soft report.:wink:

The fact that you only had one dissatisfied customer really doesn’t mean much if they had no background or knowledge to challenge what you say in your reports. Unfortunately for you, when you post the same “information” here it quickly gets shot down because there are knowledgeable people that know better and can see behind the curtain. I read one report where the HI stated the red wire was on the wrong half of a double pole breaker since the one above it was black/red and this one was red/black. When I told the customer I was not going to make any changes they were concerned that the sale would not go through since I would not fix this supposed defect. I told them the HI had no reason to write it up except for lack of knowledge. Had I not said anything those people would have taken the report at face value and there was a dangerous condition in the panel.

Excuse me! I have had no issues with Electricians either calling me and I have 4 friends that are electricians plus one other guy to turn to for advice.If there was any issue don’t you think in the 6 years I would have some? I have Inspected homes for Electricians also and never have any issue with anything I say in a report. I don’t have the luxury or the care to discuss this anymore so let it rest. No one needs to take my advice.

For someone with 4 electricians as friends you certainly come here and post a lot of electrical questions. Many are things I would think would have been learned well before obtaining the status of CMI. I thought the M stood for Master.

That’s a good idea Kevin … Thanks…Roy
\ I don’t have the luxury or the care to discuss this anymore so let it rest.

What exactly is a NEMA type plug if you don’t mind me asking? Also what NEMA Configuration is this plug in your view?

Paul,
NEMA ( [size=2]National Electrical Manufacturers Association)[/size] assist to Develop the Technical Standards of Equipment manufactured and used in the Electrical Industry.

The receptacle shown in the OP’s post does not represent a wiring device in any of the NEMA standards of late.

By “NEMA type plug”, I would guess that the OP was referring to wiring devices manufactured under the industry standards agreed on by the Members of NEMA.

Just for reference on electrical receptacle wiring devices and plugs.

http://www.acrossintl.com/files/NEMA_Plugs.pdf

Lol…I know what NEMA is…I work for them…:slight_smile:

The plug the OP stated is what appears to be a 14-50R Configuration but it’s not because that device is not 50 Amps Rated and we do not call them NEMA plugs…NEMA does not make plugs, we only unify the standards of configuration.

Paul what do you know about the safety of these old outlets? I am not trying to be smart and have only seen them in some of the older homes around our old Hospital that now has been abandoned.