Old Panel Problems

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a main panel and a sub panel for a 40 year old home. (Sorry if I offend some of ya’ll with the term “Sub” panel, it is how my report is worded so I use the term.)

First problem I noted was 2 fuses that were missing.

The main was a pull fuse and I could not see the size of the 2 fuses. The panel was rated for 125 amps. Problems I noted in the panel. Loose wire not connected to a breaker, the service entrance wires were doubled lugged to provide power to the "sub."

Problems I noted in the "sub" were neutrals were not isolated, and there was a missing strain relief clamp. I recommended that both be looked at by a electrician. Anyone see any other problems that I missed?

Thanks!

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

where is the disconnect for the sub panel?

Allen J. Halstead

Tri-County Home Inspections
Ghent, NY

"...for your peace of mind..."

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Peter,

I can’t tell from the photo; does that feeder have a bare ground in it? One would be needed for the equipment ground bar (which is also where the enclosure would have to be bonded).

I also say "sub panel", it seems to make sense to most people.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Allen, the real problem is overcurrent protection for the subpanel feeder which is now service conductors

Originally Posted By: rmoore

As far as I can tell there is no metallic conduit or grounding conductor between the two panels. Neither does the neutral bar in the breaker sub-panel appear to be bonded (of course it shouldn’t be), and the panel itself is not bonded to the grounding system. So grounding of the circuits from the breakers is through the neutral feeder back to the fuse service panel! Kind of a giant bootleg ground.

Add no protection for the sub-panel because of the double tapped main lugs and you now have more than the maximum 6 movements to shut off all power.

"I recommended that both be looked at by a electrician."...

As I don't see how they could correctly feed the sub-panel from the almost full service panel, I think you'd be very safe recommending REPAIR, which would be a new service panel to replace this whole POS.

As to "sub-panel"...I now reserve it for any panel fed from other than a main disconnect in the service panel. I like "main panel" for the first panel downstream from a remote service disconnect (even if they are wired as a "sub-panel") and service panel if it contains the disconnect. In this case, because of the way the new panel is being fed, they are, in effect, both service equipment panels...which of course is just plain ol' wrong.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com