Old timers just kicked in! HELP

Architects: Just say NO to drugs!

I think the proper technical term is “Bad f’ing idea”.

The fact that it does not have a name is an indication that it should never have been built.

It’s a cricket which was improperly designed. The cricket should pitch away from the wall as well as down toward the edge of the roof, and should be flashed and counterflashed at the wall. It’s not possible to see whether it was flashed properly or not. Ideally, the bottom of the siding should be about 4 inches above where the cricket intersects the wall, with the base flashing visible.

The cricket may also possibly be at too low a slope for shingles, but it’s difficult to tell from the photo. I’m guessing the slope of the cricket is between 2 and 2 1/2 on 12. A reasonable minimum slope for shingles is 3 on 12, and 3 1/2 is better. The cricket should have probably been entirely of metal, or a single membrane roof such as neoprene.

There is nothing wrong with the basic idea. It’s just the critical details that are lacking.

badair

If you didn’t like that you won’t like this and I’m working on my description as we speak. I’ll be back! I think the Archie-me-tech or roof framer blew this install on both sides

Thanks to everyone but cricket and saddle are not correct IMHO.

Barry, what was your final deduction on a write up on this one?

This ill designed roof, whether done by an Architect or Builder, is in fact a building blunder. An attempt by the builder to correct an Architectural error of design is possible and was not right.

Between the siding not being 1& 1/2" above the roof is one thing and the cut valley on the wrong slope will not help the problematic issues in the future.

The chances of a design forwarded to a Builder by these HomeOwner Lumber Yards is also a possibility.

I would note it as I see it.

Due to the ill design of this roof, it appears an attempt on the Builder or other, has been made to divert the water off the roof by creating an unorthodox method. I would reccomend at this time that a Prominent General Building Contractor and Architect team up to make the proper remediation protocols as necessary to eliminate any future problems that this design seems to promote.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Sorry, but it’s not an “architectural error”. There are reasons for such measures, and they are done frequently and without any problems, IF they are done correctly. The failure is in the details, not in the concept. If it is written up as a defect at all, that should be the reason.

I believe the concept was misconstrued along the avenue of building this ill-design. It should be written up as a defect, due to all the visual signs of potential leakage that might occur under the right circumstances, like rain.
I guess, I am not following your conclusions.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :roll:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Some roof arrangements dictate slope and dimension, and often a cricket is needed to adapt one roof to the other, because there is no flexibility in those two factors. If the cricket shown in the original photgraph were properly sloped away from the wall, made of metal, preferably with soldered seams, and if the siding were held up from the roof surface about 4 inches and properly flashed, it would function perfectly well until long after the rest of the house is laid to waste. As I said, the concept is fine, it’s the details that are lacking.

a good friend of mine bought a house with a similar design adjacent to the front porch. I told him to keep his eye on it or bring in a contractor for additional flashing, and well, he didnt. fast forward 4 years later and yada yada yada extensive water damage to the structural members behind the porch/wall to the tune of 3 grand in repairs.

Exactly!