Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
Maybe you should ask Jesus then…
I was only like 2 or maybe 3 in the 50’s and wasn’t quite up to sparky back then although I do remember sticking foil gum wrappers in the outlets in grade school to get out of class for a while
Perhaps that was my initial training as a young sparky. Oh how them outlets would spark…and watching them lights go out…was the best…took them custodians a while to find the tripped breaker too, as I remember it…and since working in some schools I can understand why!
Never heard of that thing though...How could a piece of wire that went no where act as a fuse? Or how could it melt if it isn't connected on both ends?
Now if it was hooked up at both ends I could see some purpose for it but then it would have to be rated at what the service wires are and I would think that once they melted it should kill power to the main feeders....but again....why even use them things if there is a main disconnect in place? Kind of a overkill one would think.
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.