On site time savers

I’m wondering what others are doing on site at their inspections to save time, be it on a macro level or micro level. Any thoughts and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ask to see an actual sample of their report. They will always direct you to their fake, made up one on their website!

1 Like

Patrick, the biggest aid in my inspections, over the years, was having and sticking to a routine.

You know, when you get to the house, start clock-wise or counter clock-wise and do the out side. the do the same on the inside. It helps one not to miss things, I found.

If you have a client that wants to talk all the time, give hime a clipboard and pen and tape measure and tell him that you have a routine that you follow so that you have less chance of missing something that he needs to make a decision on whether or not to purchase this house.

Tell him that if he has a question and I am not right there to write it down and I will answer it when I get there or when we review all my findings at the end of the inspection.

I cut at least 1 hour off inspection when I had clients like that.

The very best to you. :smile:

4 Likes

Larry,
I do the same clockwise trick and basic routine, but I think I need to look into the clipboard trick for the talkative/needy folks. I have a pretty good internal clock to maintain my pace, but I do enjoy talking to people and occasionally get held up by the talkative clients.
JJ,
Not sure what your comment meant.

Larry that is a good idea , which makes me think to do that with a letter headed paper and custom lettered pen. Or maybe that is an expense I don’t need since they already hired me

Meaning that many of these ‘on-site’, ‘git-er-done in 90’ inspectors produce (for lack of a better word) inferior reports.
Comprende’?

1 Like

You can’t mass produce custom work. It takes how long it takes.

Spend time on site instead of court.

IMHO

1 Like

I have a blessing that I’m in Florida.
If/when my client gets like a bird on my shoulders, I sometimes will go outside to do (or check) on something.
Sometimes they follow, sometimes they do not.
They usually will not last too long outside 'cause they don’t like sweating to death in 90*+ temps. :cowboy_hat_face:

Hey Marc, have you found a way to look professional in shorts and a short sleeve shirt? I don’t know if I can make it here in FL unless I figure out that piece of the puzzle.

He tried that, the view scared off the clients! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I always just wear dark blue jeans & a company t-shirt. Never did shorts.
Pants can protect me from scrapes, cuts, etc.

1 Like

Alert!! Someone has hijacked MP’s profile.

1 Like

Rules I live by to be efficient:

1. Pick a route and stick to it (I go basement up to the attic, then outside to roof, then site).
  2. Use a 7th Gen iPad with Notability and Inspector Nexus open side by side throughout the inspection.