Online thermography course

Can anyone recommend an online building science thermography course? I was looking at the Infraspection Institute’s 32hr course. Any recommendations would be appreciated…thanks.

This is a super good course that is administered by one of the most
respected training providers in the industry.

A live course is worth way more than an online course. IMHO

http://www.infraredtraining.com/courses/building_sciences.asp

John,

There is no doubt a live course would be better. I was planning on going with the online course for starters. What do you think of this course?

http://www.infraspection.com/courses_distance_learning_general.html

Mathew,

I took the online course from Infraspection. While a live class is better due to the interaction between the students and instructor, the online course is pretty good.

I have done a lot of reading about thermography over the past couple of years and was an engineer in a former life so some of the basics were repetitive to me but that probably would have been true in a class too. The course consists of a series of videos and a large workbook and quizzes. You can contact the chief instructor at any time by phone or email to ask questions. You may be tempted to start the course before you receive your printed materials but it’s probably best if you wait.

After completeing the course, you have to take a proctored final exam for certification. You can take it at the location of any class course or the Infraspection convention for free. Or they can arrange to have someone in your area proctor it for you for an extra fee. I’m taking the exam in Conway AR later this month.

Overall, I’d give it an 8 out of 10. Call me if you want any more details.

Ronald,

Thank you very much for the information.

With my business at stake, I did not trust any online course to
answer all my questions. I thought of over 100 questions a
day at my live course and learned tons of stuff from my
fellow thermographers.

If I was going to spend the money, I would go all the way
and do the live course. Or… at least hold off on offering
thermal imaging for a fee.

IMHO

If you did not take both the online course and the in class course you can’t really make an informed opinon can you? It’s normal to be proud of the path we choose for various endeavors but it does not mean there is not more than one way to skin the cat. Each has it’s merits and issues.

I agree with your statement from your previous post.

If you can afford both ways, then go both ways. If you can only afford
one, the best would be my advise.

If you go to court and they ask about your credentials as a thermographer,
it would be better to have been trained from the worlds leading institute
of thermography than to have taken a home study course… IMHO

Its no skin off my back one way or another.

Huh.
This comes from a person that believes an inspector quailfies as a Certified MASTER Home Inspector by simply filling out an affidavit and paying an individual 375.00:roll: :roll:

Why the double standard ? What makes a thermographers qualifications any more important than a Home Inspectors, that has to report on, identify, and make decisions on 100s of components that could mean financial disaster, life or death to the customer, if not properly identified or properly reported?:roll: :roll:

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

You seem to have conveniently left out the conditions to become a CMI.

Home inspector qualifications are important and so are a thermographer’s.

Do you recommend that inspectors and themographers get their training
from home study courses? I didn’t know that was your preferred method.

I feel much better now. :mrgreen:

Silly people are so, I don’t know … SILLY?

OOOOH I so impressed.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arent you the one that was upset that you could not qualify as a cmi a while back, even though you thought you should have, because you did all the things above that you impressed me with…:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Nice answer, d.

But, you have not answered your own question.

Why are you more “Qualified” than me?

If you are not, why are you more “qualified” than Mr. McKenna?

If you are not (as you have obviously shown, here) why do you believe that you can criticize Mr. McKenna?

Why do you think that you are SOOOOOO qualified to criticize me?

Did you graduate High School? College? University? Grad School? Have you taught at all these levels (with qualifications to do so)?

Please post a verified Curricula Vita, here. Mine is public knowledge. E-mail me (below) if you need help verifying it.

In short, sir, why do you believe that you are, in any ‘qualified’. to questions someone else’s ‘qualifications’?

Response? :mrgreen:

In short, sir, why do you believe that you are, in any ‘qualified’. to questions someone else’s ‘qualifications’?

Response? :mrgreen:
[/quote]

You have never seen me brag or try to impress any body with my education, training or HI qualifiications.
All I did was ask a legit question that others already agreed with,
besides that I’m just playing ping pong with the greenies, almost 3 boxes, then another red one, good thing red ones only take away 2 points and greenies add 5:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You have never seen me brag or try to impress any body with my education, training or HI qualifiications.
All I did was ask a legit question that others already agreed with,
besides that I’m just playing ping pong with the greenies, almost 3 boxes, then another red one, good thing red ones only take away 2 points and greenies add 5:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Yet, you feel free to critique Nick, Mr. McKenna and countless others (including myself).

Why do you feel you are “qualified” to do so? That is the questions.

You may answer it or you may stay mute. But if you make any other posts and do not answer the above questions (verifiably), you cannot be expected to be taken seriously, as many of your previous posts, already. display.

So, you have proved my belief for a long time.

You are not serious in your posts. You are not a serious Adult.

You are just being silly. :mrgreen:

I, myself, do that often. :wink:

Do you promote that home inspectors and thermographer get their
certifications and training from a home study course?

BTW… bragging is when you exaggerate something. I believe
Mr Decker was stating the facts in order to demonstrate
that his opinion is based on experience.

I don’t promote anything.
I do believe a person should take proper nationally reconised training and be able to prove that qualification thru proctored testing and provide written documenation on training /experience not statements on an afidavid] before he or she call themselves a certified inspector of any kind.

dang it I hit send before spell checking, oh well no spell ck on this one

Oh… OK , then we agree.
I tried to explain this same point in my original post that you challenged.
You agree with me. The path of superior education is best.

Thanks.

True as far as it goes. But who are you or I to say which is best, especially if you have only sampled one? I have taken plenty of classroom classes where I would have been MUCH better off just doing it on my own. I am not saying that is the case for the course that you took for 3 reasons (1) ITC has an excellent reputation and (2) I wasn’t there and would not presume to pass judgment on something I did not experience first hand, and (3) you were there and gave it high marks.

All the major schools are good. ITC is large and has the money of FLIR behind it, Snell has been around since thermography was in its infancy, and Infraspection wrote many of the ASTM thermal testing protocols. All of them tailor their curriculums to the same ASNT SNT-TC-1A guidelines. Completing a Level I course from any of them will make a good start for going out into the real world and really learning thermography. Just like completeing a TREC school is just a start at learning how to inspect homes.

On the subject of being a “certified” thermographer. The only national standards body that certifies thermographers is ASNT and that is only for Level III. For Level I and II, the certification standards and the process is delegated to the employer. That’s fine for Chevron Oil but is kind of tough for sole proprietors like you and me to do, therefore the schools confer a psuedo certification in place of the employer because after we spend $1700, we expect to get some kind of title to stick after our names.

All the best.