Only report material defects?

I’ve extremely green in the inspection space, as in I’m not yet certified, so I’m sure this will make mroe sense soon, but some things are more difficult to figure out than others. I still can’t figure out the difference between a material and a major defect. My biggest hurdle, though, is understanding the SOP. I’m repeatedly confused by what seems to be inconsistent guidelines. There are numerous examples and recommendations to not say anything about anything that is not a material defect and also the opposite examples and recommendations to describe everything about everything such as in this example from the Defect Recognition and Report Writing Course:

Why would we describe the history of fiberglass insulation?

So, I’m trying to figure out if there are rules about when to tell all and when to only report what’s material.

Read this post here if it helps.
Major vs Material Defect - General Inspection Topics / General Inspection Discussion - InterNACHI®️ Forum

i don’t attempt to second guess or prioritize material or major for clients, realtors, insurers, lenders
a deficiency is as described
all involved are supposed to be adults & shouldn’t require me to micromanage for them
when i do get the occasional call or email for advice i try to provide whatever is needed within the scope of my inspection agreement
recently had a client/agent that were more concerned with dents/scratches on ss appliances than plumbing clogs & foundation failings
i didn’t foresee society becoming more concerned with appearances vs. function
but i’m an old school head
it is what it is & thus my stance

With 35+ yrs inspecting, in a Report … I have NEVER described the history of fiberglass insulation, concrete, asphalt shingles, drywall, thermal pane windows, etc, etc.

Are they functional … Yes or No

1 Like

Yes - It seems that report length has become more important to some than it should be. If the house has a small list of defects then that’s what the report should list, not an in depth history of fiberglass or copper pipes.