Ooops

Media Advisory: Engineering Licensing Body Obtains Order Against Vaughan-Area Man

TORONTO, ONTARIO–(Marketwire - June 29, 2007) - Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) obtained an Order under the Professional Engineers Act in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on Thursday against Siamak Jasmshidi Barzi, also known as Mike Barzi, for holding himself out as engaging in the practice of professional engineering, and in the business of providing to the public services that are within the practice of professional engineering, and for using the titles “engineer” and “professional engineer” in his dealing with a client.

Barzi has never held a licence to practise professional engineering or a Certificate of Authorization in Ontario. Neither have his unincorporated businesses, Home Inspection Professionals and Building Inspection Professionals.

Under the Professional Engineers Act, a public protection statute, only individuals who are licensed as professional engineers by PEO or hold a temporary licence from PEO may represent themselves as professional engineers, engage in the practice of professional engineering and in the business of providing to the public in Ontario services that are within the practice of professional engineering, or may use the titles “professional engineer” or “engineer”.

PEO brought the application after receiving information from a former client of Barzi’s, who had intended to hire Barzi to issue a report after seeing an ad in the Toronto Yellow Pages, in which Barzi referred to his business as “Home Inspection Professionals” and represented it had “Qualified Engineers”.

After reviewing the affidavit evidence and hearing from the parties, the Honourable Madam Justice Allen found Barzi had breached several sections of the Professional Engineers Act and ordered that he refrain from engaging in the practice of professional engineering and/or from holding himself out as engaging in the business of providing to the public in Ontario services that are within the practice of professional engineering unless he obtains a licence or a Certificate of Authorization from PEO.

Barzi was also ordered to refrain from using the titles “engineer”, “professional engineer”, “P.Eng.”, or any abbreviation or variation thereof, as an occupational or business designation in Ontario unless he obtains a licence from PEO. Barzi was ordered to pay costs to PEO of $1,500.

Neil J. Perrier of Perrier Law Professional Corporation represented PEO on the application.

Professional Engineers Ontario administers the Professional Engineers Act to serve and protect the public interest by licensing Ontario’s 70,000 professional engineers, granting temporary, limited and provisional licences to practise professional engineering, and permitting more than 4,200 firms and individuals to offer engineering services to the public under Certificates of Authorization. Under the Professional Engineers Act, a Certificate of Authorization is required before any individual or business can provide professional engineering services to the public.

PEO also disciplines professional engineers and firms that fail to maintain the profession’s technical and ethical standards, and prosecutes in the Courts those practising professional engineering without a licence, or using a term, title or designation that may lead others to believe they are entitled to practise.

Rigorously educated, experienced, and committed to a Code of Ethics that puts the public interest first, licensed professional engineers can be identified by the P.Eng. after their names.

Enforcement Hotline:

(416) 224-9528 Ext. 1444

Believe me this isn’t the only one. There have been a couple in OAHI who have misrepresented themselves as PEO’s.

You are right Ray. I have heard on one locally who has represented himself as an engineer. Very sad.:wink:

A chooo choooo train engineer no doubt! :slight_smile:

Guys, let’s be fair.

Not only OAHI members misrepresent themselves. It has nothing to do with association membership. It has eveything to do with people themselves either posting inaccurate information or making a mistake.

Bill Mullen

Bill

Unfortunately these same people making the mistakes are the ones that would have you believe they are the best, the most knowledgeable, most experienced, people who are university educated, or so they claim.

Last time I wrote to Oahi informing them someone was misusing a title they clearly were not entitled to use, the reply came back that my complaint had less weight because of the supposed issues about my long outstanding matters. As a matter of fact I have never heard anything more about all those trumped up charges. The best thing I ever did was go to the OAHI laywers office to see a document that could only be described as erroneous. Some sure like to hide the facts for ulterior motives. OAHI doesn’t like anyone who tries to excercise their rights. I know that because you to have been kicked around trying to excercise your rights. At least on those facts we have something in common eh? :wink:

…and it continues. The only difference now is that we have a few people on the inside. Whether or not that will help remains to be seen.

I wasn’t defending OAHI, because I agree with you that improvements MUST be made or that organization will fail, sooner than later. However, OAHI or any association can’t stop me or you from posting whatever we want. We might have to later remove it, but it gets posted just the same.

Bill Mullen