Open ended gutters

Would you call these open ended gutters a defect?

Thanks! for your input.

no…

No…

No… but I may make mention of them… noting the increased wear to the shingles where the water falls upon them.

Yes a defect because of no down spout.
If the upper roof has a downspout to the lower roof gutter as it should then the open is a defect .

Why is the gutter even there? (hmmmmm)

Would you call it a **defect **if the gutter wasn’t there?

You are wearing out the middle section.
Also those stubs are aimed sideways which will push the tiles up.
Rains is meant to shed down those tiles and not travel from the side.
Been discussed many times.

Thick of the water pattern during a heavy rain and guess what will wear out.

Hold your control button and hit the plus sign to magnify.
You can see splits forming from the ends of tiles below the downspout stubs.

1 Like

i would call it out… they are not doing much good that way at all… either install them with downspout or dont install at all…

Bob,
Not saying I disagree with your opinion, just curious if you would call it a defect if the section of gutter was not even there?
Jeff

No. . .

Probably not but it is** and I can only suggest not having two streams of water aimed at @ causing stress on the tile.

Do you see the splits?

If you don’t divert the water flow away from roof to wall transitions, during heavy rains the water will flow over flashings and down interior walls.

No Downspouts.jpg

No Downspouts.jpg

Moisture Intrusion Over Roof to Wall Flashing.jpg

1 Like

Control plus…COOL I need more old folk’s tricks. No more squinting at the screen.

Also, hit the Control Key and use your Mouse Scroll Button to Enlarge Or Shrink the entire screen.

I also just found out by accident, that the Shift Key and the Mouse Scroll Button will move you back and forth, like click back a page or forward to a page you just left.

Now to the gutter.

It is better that they left the open end away from the bottom of the valley, because so many gutter installers attempt to get it as snug as possible, which then causes a continuous flow of water under the adjoining shingles.

I would hope that the drop outlet in this particular case expells the majority of water, but I don’t like how the water flow will be forced upwards at the butt ends of the shingles in it’s path.

Also, the “A” Elbow that jutts out of that gutter should more preferable be a “B” Elbow, so that the water flowage is pointed down the slop of the roof instead of sideways at the side butt ends of the shingles.

I did not notice any cracking of shingles under a higher magnification, but I did notice some mechanical damage, which more than likely was done with some sheet metal or a knife. It could be the roofer from the original install with doing some cuts on top of the shingles, the sider doing the same thing with his angles cuts under the soffit, or the gutter installer scraping the roof surface.

Ed