"open ground" on GFCI-protected circuit?

Guys I am willing to change just give me documentation of safety issue.
No documentation and it will stay the same.

For what?

State your issue again.

Tell me this. Why do we have to state that they have no ground? NEC
If I see them without this information I realize that who installed it is in question.
Since many of them fail to trip I for one want to test them each week for operation with a proper tester not some internal button on a GFCI outlet.
This fact alone makes them not as safe as a proper wired 3 prong GFCI outlet.
As for using a plug that has a proper ground to the outlet.
How a Grounding Wire Works

In an electrical circuit, you have what’s known as a hot wire that supplies the power and a neutral wire that carries that current back. The thing to understand about electricity is that it is always looking for the shortest path back to the earth. Therefore, if there is a problem where the neutral wire was broken or interrupted, the grounding wire provides a direct path back to the ground, preventing you from becoming that shortest path and suffering a serious electric shock. Part of the role of the grounding wire is also to force the circuit breaker to trip if a hot wire comes into contact with the metal case of an appliance, thereby removing the hazard.

Wow… now he’s quoting SuperPages!!! :shock::shock::shock:

Wow… now he’s quoting SuperPages!!! :shock::shock::shock:

A little knowledge is dangerous. WoW! :shock:

Yes I hate to type. So the quote is from a source that anyone can access. I could get the one from Mike Holt but what is the point. It still is the same everywhere.
Prove them wrong I don’t care.
This is basic Electrical 101

Home Gauge software is not a listed testing lab so what they have to say does not matter.
What does matter is what UL has to say and they say that the only true test for a GFCI or AFCI device is the test button that comes as part of the device. Any other test is not a valid test.
UL is charged with doing the test on equipment before it is released to the public. Their standards are the only one that matters.

A GFCI device will open when there is a difference of .005 amps between the hot and neutral and it will open within two cycles which is ~ .033 seconds.
For a breaker to trip due to current on the bare equipment grounding conductor the current must reach a level above the trip curve of the breaker and as a general rule of thumb this will be six times the rating of the breaker and can last for a period of up to 120 cycles or two full seconds.
Which of these two is safer?

If you want documentation of this Google search the trip curve of breakers during ground faults and Google search the trip curve of GFCI devices. There is more documentation than one would want to read in a days’ time.

This is completely wrong. Current is not trying to get to earth at all and should the neutral be broken the circuit would be off and the equipment grounding conductor would not carry anything.

If current is trying to get to earth and not back to its source please explain how a flashlight works without being connect to earth.

Please post where Mike Holt says that current is trying to get to earth.

Someone get Paul to explain the Grounding issue because every explanation I can find is it tries to seek a path to earth if it cannot find a path to the original source.

There is just too much incorrect information to even know where to start.

Because you “don’t trust” the internal test button, they are not as safe?

I’m really trying to understand your position Kevin, but this makes no sense at all.

Your “theory” that current is looking for a path to ground is completely inaccurate - current is “looking” for a return path to its source. Additionally, it does not matter if it’s a short path or a long path, current will use every available path to return to its source. The load imposed on any given source will be determined by the resistance of the path.

I am willing to be explained what part is questionable. I know the last portion is a bit sketchy but If this is wrong explain please.

Did you not read my post?

It is not my “theory”
If it cannot find a path back to the source it will try to find the shortest path to earth.

Take a basic electritity course at a local tech college.

You have too many areas of confusion to deal with here.

What is the theory you are talking about? I got lost in all the incorrect statements in your posts.

Again, it’s not looking for a short path, it’s looking for the path of least resistance (any and all paths) to it’s source. If the path of least resistance to its source is through “earth,” that’s the direction it will take.

Correct