Open Letter to Communicator Magazine

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a letter I sent to the editor of the communicator magazine in response to an article. I guess we are all uneducated.

Subject: State Licensing

I enjoyed reading Pat Thiel's column "Ask Mr. Inspector" until I read his answer to Norman J., a Realtor from Kentucky. Mr. Thiel expounds on the fact that most inspectors against licensing are uneducated and that ASHI has "great information" on licensing. Mr. Thiel should realize that many inspectors are actually quite educated on the subject, ASHI's push to run other home inspectors out of business and the ASHI Position Paper and, as such, are against licensing until the legislatures and the public are better educated.
I point out the situation in Pennsylvania where ASHI and NAHI attempted to force all home inspectors to join ASHI or NAHI by pushing legislation that requires home inspectors belonging to ASHI or NAHI. Fortunately, members of other organizations and some ASHI members were able to put a stop to it. In New Jersey the new state law, a law that is rated number one by ASHI, is going to put many home inspectors out of business and require others to spend a fortune by paying "mentors", who are all pre-selected ASHI members, to do inspections for them so they can obtain a license. The last I heard there were only less than 5 mentors statewide and the estimated cost per inspector was around $16,000.00. Even ASHI members are extremely unhappy with this law. In another western state, there is such a backlog of obtaining licenses that many inspectors are worried about being able to live until they can receive it. The backlog is due to the few "select" inspectors who were put in charge of it. ASHI's leadership is out of touch with it's membership, on many fronts, and is only interested in controlling an industry. Their actions indicate that they (the leadership) is not interested in promoting good-will, professionalism and education in the home inspection industry. This is unfortunate as ASHI has many experienced, competent and professional members.
I for one am for some sort of licensing for home inspectors, but not based on the ASHI Position Paper. Until ASHI realizes that we do not live in an autocracy, we are all better off without it. I have strongly advocated a coalition of home inspector organizations to model a licensing paper based on the appraisers, but to date the only association that I have heard from is NACHI. The others remain mute, how come?
I feel that Mr. Thiel appears to be an excellent and knowledgeable inspector, but he should refrain from expounding on issues that he has not researched fully and done without prejudice toward any particular organization.

Sincerely,
Robert Patterson
A+ Home Inspections
Tacoma, WA

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: dbush

YEAH Bob. I think you put several people’s views into your paper, including mine. My only question is what state does ASHI plan to try to conquer next into their world.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

New York…

There are several competing bills. The latest is not co-sponsored in the State Senate, and needs two houses to proceed with any chance. There is another bill, obviously crafted by PEs, which cpompares what an HI does to what a PE does. Most HI's are too naive to clearly understand the eventual outcome if such a bill were to pass. In essence, only a licensed PE may do certain things. Comparing our profession to a PE will draw a very dangerous parallel. My spin is eventually a PE seal will be required on all home inspections if this bill were to pass.

It's time for all HIs to band together to stop the licensing madness! Our proposed legislation should be to (1) have insurance, (2) pay a fee, (3) take a state sponsored (and reasonably priced) HI course, (4) take a test (a reasonably priced test available each month), and (5) require continuing education. Meet the criteria, and get a license. Oh, yeah... no limits on the number of HI's licensed in a state.

Forget the apprenticeships, forget the mentoring, forget the pre-requesite inspections. This is all baloney.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob,

Excellent letter. Well written.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I’d be happy to work on it with you Igor. One thing I disagree with, slightly, is the notion that the board be made up of only HIs. HIs seem to be a big part of the problem. Here in Rockland, the HIs are the ones locking all sorts of folks out of the industry. Same in NJ, where the law sucks…

Let's do it... BTW, to see the PE-slanted bill, go the the State's site, and search for HI legislation. Look for Sen Balboni's bill.

Joe

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The NAHI/ASHI rif exists but NAHI guys are known for being…how do I say it?..a little light in the loafers. For this reason, and probably military stratagie*, they stay clear of the NACHI/ASHI battles.

Nick

*Before WWII it was predicted that Germany and Russia would go to war with each other. U.S. policy was to continually fund whichever side was losing so that the two counties would kill as many of each other as possible.

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Bob - Excellent letter, well thought out, well written. Congratulations.

Regards, Rusty