open web steel I beam

Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone know when I find basic load/size calculations for open web steel I beams? They’re the ones made with 4 pieces of angle iron welded solid round bar bent into a zig-zag. I can find the regular closed web solid beams bot not the open web.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: roconnor

The Steel Joist Institute (SJI) publishes historical load tables for open web steel joists. But they require judgment to be used correctly, and condition/deterioration is a significant concern. I would recommend leaving the load capacity up to an engineer.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Thanks Robert, I downloaded the catalog. Looks like it contains the info I was looking for. icon_smile.gif

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I take it you are also an engineer since you are looking at load capacity.

Be very careful with those tables, because you may have downloaded the current load tables, which do not apply to older steel OWJ's. That is a separate pretty thick book. Also many engineers (present company included) assign load capacity reductions for age, and look very carefully at welds, deterioration, fireproofing, lateral stability, and potential buckling before using those tables. There is also virtually no redundancy or extra load capacity with steel OWJ's.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong