Operate whirlpool tub jets?

It is basically a setup for a nightmare worst-case scenario. And so many people NEVER operate their big whirlpool tubs, so that it is an accident just waiting to happen when you walk in to inspect!
“Look out for the big tub upstairs” said no one ever.

1 Like

Exactly
She asked me for an emergency kinda guy. I told her don’t know any.
Wasn’t interested in helping/getting involved after she told me I was lazy, she’ll turn it on

2 Likes

Bitter sweet revenge I suppose. She learned some hard lessons, 1st one being listen to the expert on site.

I had a client complain because I would not remove an electrical panel which had sharp tipped screws. She asked to borrow my screwdriver. I declined to loan it to her but I was tempted.

4 Likes

Like most threads, we get a little sidetracked. Back to the OP, I test all recirculating tubs when possible. I’ve found ones that don’t work at all, no GFCI protection, only 3 jets out of 6 are working with all vents engaged, Hot/Cold reversed because plumbed from the back side…etc…

4 Likes

Love your answer If I find something intentionally placed out of service, I note it in the report and insert the comment " since I do not know the history or reason why this item is intentionally put out of service, it was not inspected. Items intentionally placed out of service should be considered defective, in need of further evaluation for repair or replacement"

3 Likes

I always test bathroom jet tubs - and take a photo of them while they’re running. If there is reasonable access to the pump equipment (a hatch or door that doesn’t require removal of hardware), I check it out for signs of active or previous leaks, or any other damage.
Warning: Do not (I repeat - DO NOT) walk away from the tub while filling it. Warning 2: Aim the jets downward before turning them on. Unfortunately I learned this by experience. I hit the button, and it was like the fountains at the Bellagio :flushed:

5 Likes

It seems most of us have learned this the hard way as well. This is why this forum is so good.

1 Like

We do it just to see if they work or not (it’s much easier than defending why you don’t, when you get the angry phone call after clients move in). Also, just as much… to see whether the lines are full of algae from not being used for a long time, which we commonly run in to. Only time we’ve had an issue was once the tub jets would not turn off, there was no access to the pump motor/outlet, and breakers weren’t marked… so I told the listing agent that he was going to need to figure out how to turn it off. He was still there when I left.

2 Likes

Good job for him Phil!..well done. :smile:

1 Like

In New York State is pretty much standard procedure to operate a whirlpool tub jets but before i do it i would check with the home owners . In some instances the whirlpool piping is defective and can create a big problem if the actual jets are operated .

“Create a big problem” is right! It is almost like a trap to step in. I am coming to appreciate that all the more from everyone’s comments.