opinion on section 3

Help me out with this one. original roof was wood shake over battens. permitted and replaced in 2004 with aluminum shingles. (see the pic). they installed the new aluminum roof in the same manner as the wood shakes, 1x6 battens, double layer of felt and the aluminum shingles on top without using solid substrate.
So since the only section that mentions the batten system is line A.

any opinions on this?

oh and I know, nice plumbing stack and boot

DSC01009.JPG

DSC01012.JPG

I’d need to look up the code but I do know that some manufacturers of this type of shingle are OK with the battens.

I am more concerned with what to select on the windstorm as far as uplift pressures.

I would be inclined to put A until someone could show me that the uplift was great than A.

Because B and C both specifically call out OSB/plywood or dimensional lumber you will have a difficult time proving it will meet B or C.

I would check with the manufacture, I doubt they have the info you are looking for.

Thanks John, that is how I read it as well.

Ken,

In your third pic, it looks like plywood showing thru a tear. Be sure that the did not sheet over the batons during the re roof. A 2004 permited re roof in Palm Beach should have required that for shingles…

If the roof was re decked, it’s likely not going to be an A. You will have to determine the nail pattern, etc…

“I’m concerned with what to mark on section 3”

Sorry didn’t pick up on that.

If you look really close it looks like insulboard or foil covered ply wood.

yes I saw that as well, but probed multiple areas of the felt paper and did not find anything but the bottom of the shingles, and why would they lay new felt over the battens and under the plywood.

Don’t guess they would but I couldn’t tell for sure it was new felt like you could.

Often these roof are re decked w/plywood during recent re roofs. Especially when the wood shakes are being replaced.

They do not remove the old tar paper on top of the battens… You have to tear away a little to confirm the new deck…

In the third pic, I see a tear between the battens. There does appear to be a foil on the torn paper. But, it looks like plywood where no plywood should be on a batten roof…Unless, they re decked the roof during '04 re roof…

No new deck, It has to be an A.:slight_smile:

I would not want that roof over my head, thats for sure.

I know I’m going to get ripped for talking about building code compliance, but what the heck it is a rainey Sunday evening.
You are all wrong the answere is “C”.
The home is in Palm Beach County wind zone 140mph, the re roof was permitted, meaninig that the minimum nailing was 6"x6" with 8d ring shank nails and would have been inspected as part of that process. The original nominal 1"x6" battons are spaced at 10" o.c. (4-1/2") between boards which would comply with that requirment. If you marked “A” you just screwed your cliet

I know I’m going to get ripped for talking about building code compliance, but what the heck it is a rainy Sunday evening.
You are all wrong the answer is “C”.
The home is in Palm Beach County wind zone 140mph, the re roof was permitted, meaning that the minimum nailing was 6"x6" with 8d ring shank nails and would have been inspected as part of that process. The original nominal 1"x6" battens are spaced at 10" o.c. (4-1/2") between boards which would comply with that requirement. If you marked “A” you just screwed your client

Funny thing is even when we check permits you cannot be sure of what was done.

I saw a re-roof with a value of $1400 the other day on the application.

So I know they either lied about what they did or they lied about the value for a cheaper cost.

You never can tell and you sure cannot tell by looking. It is a guess at best with most insurance inspections.

Mike,
You and I both Know that the permit fee is based on the value of the job. So now balling the valuation job cost has nothing to do with the actual scope of work. And by the way I have gotten pretty good at determining nail length and spacing with my zircon mt-6

Your experience should be how they get their credits not from a photograph :slight_smile:

I have had several roofs that were staples and not re-nailed done after 2009. You can not trust the AHJ doing inspection, most just take an affidavit. I do not care what anyone else swears to. I must observe it myself.

Observe what? Missed nailes or our relieing on your MT-6

Any nails. You should always see nails on a hip truss. People(roofers) can say they snap chalk lines all they want, but trusses are not straight when they are installed. There will always be some nails that are shiners or at least side splitters.

If you have a rafter system and hand nailed when it was framed it is possible to not see a shiner. This is usually do to the slower work speed(no guns) and the framer may have pulled any shiners.

I have had several roofs that were not re-nailed and should have been by code. We have had inspection sign-offs and roofer affidavits where I could not find a shiner or side splitter so we(HO and I) agreed to pull shingles and repair as needed, the roofers baulked. Just because they had a permit, or signed an affidavit does not mean they did what they should have. Had everyone did what they should have there would be no need for inspectors. This is why we do the inspections.