Overheated wire in attic

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I recommend an electrician replace this portion of the wire as well as the miswired GFCI. Three year old house, nothing appears to be on top of the wire, etc. Anyone have any idea what would cause this wire to be “burned” like this. Laser thermometer shows same temperature on both sides of the wire. Any ideas? Also, is there any particular concern of overheating with the rest of that and other wire?

![](upload://9jnbOPlsnIcQ5MPqdrs6kqJjgP2.jpeg)

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: psisler

Dave,

Could there be a break in the romex? As if it had a sheathing nail or staple that may have went through it and it was arc jumping through the break. I have seen scorching similar to this when used romex from a tear out was used to wire something somewhere else and it had a broken wire in it from a staple. I can't think of anything else. Sorry.

Patrick M. Sisler

Originally Posted By: dbush

New wiring, no signs of nails or staples.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Does this feed a ceiling box under that insulation? If so a peek in there is probably the first thing the electrician should do. That may be where the heat was coming from. I bet there is a fried connection in there.

Originally Posted By: cbuell

how about burned by utility light during construction

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

Looks to me like a burn from a propane torch. Are there sweated copper plumbing in the area? Plumber could have turned or set it down and did it.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.