PA/MD Ride Along

Originally Posted By: KipHamilton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey guys, I didn’t get any response from the South Central PA request, so just casting the net a bit farther.

I could easily go to Frederick, Mt Airy, Hagerstown vicinities or east to Hanover or north to like...Mechanicsburg...west to Chambersburg/Shippensburg.

I would rather stay in PA, though because of learning the ropes where I'll be working, unless a MD guy does both and could explain the differences.

Anyone in these areas have one scheduled for a weekend or evening and wouldn't mind the company?

Thanks!

Kip

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Kip,

Have you found someone to take you on a ride along? I am hoping that since you were aware that time is the big factor that someone came along and honored your request.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: khamilton

Hi Joe!

No I haven't. As to your question about how far; I was thinking an hour or so. Maybe farther, depending....

I figured it was going to be difficult trying to match my available hours to someone else in the business already. My current "day job" is as an estimator with a major East Coast home builder, although I was a licensed remodeling contractor in MD for 15 years.

The plan is to "ease" into HI on a part time basis. I'm in a good spot as there is only one other guy within about 30 miles of me. I was thinking that my willingness to work on evenings and weekends (as it would be a second job for me) might be a marketing plus.

I was thinking about something to manage the weird schedule. What do you think of the idea or doing an interior inspection one evening, then going back on the weekend to do the exterior when you can see it?

Does that have some impact on the idea of the inspection being a "snapshot" of the house's condition on a given day? I wouldn't be working too far from home, so the travel time thing is not really an issue for me. I'm trying to think a bit out of the box, but I don't know how this would actually work in practice.

Were you thinking of yourself as a possibility for me to tag along with? How far from Gettysburg are you?

Thanks for your help Joe.

Kip

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Kip,

Most of our inspection are done on time lines, meaning the buyer on has so many days to have them completed. I don't think you will get a good response if you try to break the inspection up into two parts, unless you are placing radon canisters or something like that.

I live pretty far from Gettysburg, almost in Philadelphia. I know a few of our members live down your way and if you want to do a ride along you should use the inspector locator to look them up. Placing a post here does not typically yield good results because a low percentage of our inspector actually use the BB.

The inspector locator can be found on the nachi home page.

http://nachi.org

Let me know how you make out.

Joe Myers