PA start up blues

Originally Posted By: gmathias
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am trying to start my own independent Home Inspection business in the Central Susquehanna Valley. I have a background in building and remodeling, and I have taken a 48 hr course on Home Inspection at Building Specs Inc. in Maryland. I am in the process of acquiring certificates for Radon, mold, and WDI, as well as looking for training on septic systems. I would like to work with someone to fill the required “100 supervised” inspection requirement. I understand that these could be ride-alongs with me using my own reports. I also expect that I will probably need to drive out of my area, and may need to pay a fee for the inconvenience. Any experienced inspectors out there who would be willing to have me tag along?

Did I mention that I was willing to pay a fee?

230+ reads…16 votes

come on, it doesn’t take long to vote

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Make that 17 votes.

Adam, A Plus

Thanks A-Man

Originally Posted By: dargabright

Greg; If you are in the Ohio area I’ll let you tag along. You buy lunch. icon_biggrin.gif It could be that the local inspectors are afraid of training the competition. Heck… If you were in central Ohio I might be afraid too.

I've let other locals attend the inspection as long as they agree to keep quiet and ask questions after the inspection.

I am surprized that you haven't gotten any responses from the good NACHI folk in the area. That area should be the stronghold of the organization. Maybe Nick's son will allow you follow along for awhile.

Thanks Dave. I am surprised too that I haven’t from fellow NACHI members with an offer. It is understandable that anyone in my area would be reluctant to aid a competitor.

Shucks Greg, Ohio is only a few hours away from you. The wife and I visited the sites around Lancaster only last year. Nice little trip. Come on down. The weathers fine. 28 degrees, spitting freezing rain, slick streets, and only four more inspections to do this week.

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

Here in Louisiana we have to be certified by the State Home Inspection Board to be trainers, even for a “ride-along”. It requires two years of experience and an annual fee of $200 to attain this certification. I am 6 months away from becoming eligible. Some other licensed states may have similar requirements.

Regards,

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.

Well Alan; In Ohio it’s the wild west, survival of the fittest. No licensing. No requirements for training. I’ve trained inspectors for a former employer and am currently training an inspector for my business.

I usually give ridealongs to those that ask. Most think it's a grand way be spend a little of their time and make a lot of money. Those of us that have been in the business know that it way more difficult than most anything we've done before, and the learning never stops.

I may not be the best inspector in the state but after watching the way I like to do inspections and handle buyers, most considering the field decide that it may not be for them at this time. If they are still interested and determined I try to help. In that way I guess I'm trying to raise the level of all inspectors.
If in so doing I cut my own throat I guess I deserve it for not doing a better job of learning and serving the clients. It's dog eat dog and only the smartest survive and thrive.