Paint thickness guage!

“ultra sonic coatings thickness gauge”.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these or maybe rent one?

Thanks Carl

Google your phrase from your title of this thread and add the word paint to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ultrasonic-Paint-Coating-Thickness-Meter-Gauge_W0QQitemZ270119683077QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4678QQcmdZViewItem

Ed

Thanks Ed!

I use my pocket knife dipped in blue chalk, then I stab it into the painted surface and determine the thickness by how much chalk was removed.

At the risk of sounding stupid… (I’m seriously asking, not being sarcastic)

1. Why do you care how thick the paint is?
  2. Why would you stab someones house?

http://www.technical-sys.com/R606%20Thickness_Gauges.pdf

nice, but how do you know you haven’t gone through paint into substrate?

I agree with Mark. This is Nachi gone mad(der).

Don’t feel stupid Mark. I wonder the same thing.

You’ve got to be kidding! PAINT THICKNESS. WOW!

Hi to all,

Carl does a lot of consulting on stucco and other exterior systems, I can quite understand why he would be interested in paint thickness on surface coatings as they to have to meet various (ASTM mostly) standards. Should the surface coating over a stucco not meet the manufacturers standards them the stucco itself will under preform.

BTW I don’t have a paint thickness detector in my bag but seeing as I have everything else I guess I gotta go buy one now :wink: Damn you Carl :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards

Gerry

Just kidding, I was joking around a bit but after reading Gerry’s response I can now understand why this would be needed.

PS you should be able to detect a little Yankee humor.

i’ve known them to be used on commercial jobs where an inspector (a “clerk of the works” or full time inspector) doubts the correct paint coverage.

Gerry!! :mrgreen:

I have a buddy that is a painter and he has been told he over applied elastomeric paint!

And wants to check it with out causeing more damage to the house!

It is on a stucco job that a so called stucco contractor put in calcium chloride a couple winters ago and the paint is bubbling!

The stucco job is horrible and needed more paint to cover it. IMO

The paint supplier/mfgr. is trying to say it was over applied and wants no part of it.

We think the calcium chloride has alot to do with the problem.

Hey Carl,

let me think about this for a min… you put elastomeric paint over stucco that is rich in Calcium Chloride (otherwise know as Salt) and it is not going to cause an issue… especially as you used the Calcium Chloride as a retarder to stop the stucco from freezing because to applied it at too low a temperature, and probably painted over it before it had had time to dry out… now let me think about the likelyhood of failure, am I getting warm yet :shock: :wink:

Regards

Gerry

Amen!