Part Time And Other Requirements

Originally Posted By: John M Borchers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi All,

I'm located in USA, PA, Lehigh County and I'm wondering what are the local requirements for being a home inspector. I passed the online test for possible Nachi membership my first time with an 82 ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ! I have the following questions...

1) Since I'm already FT employed I am considering starting home inspections PT. Is this recommended? Anyone have any experiences doing this PT?

2) I see E & O is required for PA? Can anyone give me an expect to pay rate for 1 year at state minimum offhand?

3) Are any licenses required for PA?

Thanks in advance,

John Borchers

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi John,

Start part-time? In my opinion a big yes.

E&O? $3500 first year minimum is likely.

Good Luck,

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Dad always said, if you’re going to do something, never do it half way. Jump in with both feet icon_wink.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Kevin has a good point. I just find that a salary and benefits works well for me as I grow into the business gradually. That’s the route I chose to take .

Originally Posted By: jrooff

I still run my construction company and have the luxury to book an appointment when needed. It’s been 15 months from hanging out the shingle and inspections are about 3 per week now. Not enough to go sole yet. I’m not a franchise and you must do your home work. Home inspections are about 45 % of the time here when someone buys but it will pick up, Iowa is close to last to doing anything so I got in at a good time. If you want to do it right you need to join NACHI and read everything and the marketing section is dam good, you have to market and do it smart and you will pick up great info and someone is always there to help, NO BULL. icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck

Originally Posted By: rlind

I entered the Home Inspection profession full-time in late 2003, after my employer for the past 23 years gave me a severance package.

I used my free time getting the business set up - from taking the required classes, passing the required tests for licensing in both IL and WI, and setting up my business - from legalities to a web page.

Two weeks after starting the business, my old employer offered me a comparable job to the one I had with them.

I decided to go back to my old employer, which distributes so many of the items I inspect - motors, HVAC equipment, pumps, plumbing supplies, electrical supplies, etc., (with full retention of benefits and vacations) and to spend my spare time performing Home Inpsections. No complaints from me!
I am able to ensure a steady income while building (albeit more slowly) my Home Inspection business.

This message board, along with the many other benefits of NACHI membership, have kept my Home Inspection skills honed for the inspections I perform.

Eventually, I will enter this noble profession full-time. The satisfaction of giving my clients some peace of mind during their undoubtedly stressful home buying process provides a "good" feeling that an ordinary job cannot match.

That is my two cents.

Sincerely,

Ron Lind
Solid Foundation Home Inspections, LLC