Partnership Between U.S. Department of Energy Building America Program and InterNACHI

Optimizing the Home Inspection Process to Drive Energy Efficiency and High Performance - A Partnership Between the U.S. Department of Energy’s Building America Program and InterNACHI

The project directly addresses an activity - home inspection - that impacts over 4 million homes every year. The potential for this activity to drive energy efficiency is very significant and could become a key component in transforming the existing home market toward greater energy savings and toward achieving the U.S. Department of Energy’s market transformation goals.

The goal is to integrate the U.S. Department of Energy’s Building America technical knowledge into the home energy inspection (make technical recommendations for changes to the current process to optimize energy efficiency), and to integrate Building America research results (content) into inspector and homeowner education, as well as to gather data on the home inspection process, and homes being inspected in the pilot. In addition, the pilot will constitute a “living laboratory” that Building America will use to examine and better understand the home inspection processes and infrastructure. The pilot will provide concrete guidance to Building America on how to effectively engage with the home inspection process to achieve U.S. Department of Energy’s goals for existing homes.

Download project details:
US-Dept-Energy-InterNACHI-Pilot.pdf (115 KB)

Don’t miss the national rollout by subscribing to our InterNACHI’s Monthly eNewsletter

Planet InterNACHI… resistance is futile.

I see a big problem with this as I have made this predication before. I highlighted the dog that don’t hunt???

The DOE’s goal is to collect data. This is a great way to collect it. I don’t see this being a big business booster to home inspectors but it might leverage a few customers if they are on the fence on if they should spend money on an Energy Audit. If you provide audits you possibly could spin some your way but these buyers are better of financing the improvements in with their loan and if that’s the case they already agreed to an audit. No matter how it turns out it gets the NACHI name out there which is good for all members.

I don’t by any means disagree with what you are saying but if one hangs his hat on a Gov program that is subject to change with what ever direction the wind is blowing from is prolly not making a good business decision;-)

I told you several years back that the energy issue would be huge and InterNACHI should be the leader. It’s all coming together.

http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/thermographic-inspections

I made a prediction also so don’t hold your breath

Twain said, “The art of prophecy is very difficult, especially with respect to the future.”

For today, there’s one thing we know.

Homeowners can take simple steps to eliminate drafts, keep their home more comfortable year round, save energy that would otherwise be wasted, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

That’s a good thing.

And that’s something I’d like to be a part of.